69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
May 5
81°/ 66°
Heavy rain
May 6
80°/ 68°
Patchy rain nearby
May 7
90°/ 69°
Partly Cloudy

Big 12 Teams Look Strong, Despite Conference Controversy

Big+12+Teams+Look+Strong%2C+Despite+Conference+Controversy+

The Big 12 was shaken up during the off season with Nebraska and Colorado leaving to join new conferences and Texas A&M seeking the option of moving out of the conference and going to the SEC at the end of the season. For now though, we have 10 teams competing to become Big 12 champion.

Texas: Texas will be looking to improve over their disappointing 2010 campaign. They started off the season with 34-9 win over Rice, but struggled in their 17-16 win over BYU. Garret Gilbert began the season as starting quarterback, but after his poor performance against BYU, has lost the starting position, meaning that the offense will be led either by newcomer Case McCoy or David Ash. Young talented players such as wide receiver Jaxon Shipley and running back Malcolm Brown will also lead the offense. Defense will be the main strength again for the Horns, led by senior linebackers Keenan Robison and Emmanuel Acho, who both led the team in tackles last season. The team will have to replace Sam Acho, one of their best tacklers from last season. The Longhorns will have a better season than they did last season and will hopefully return as of one the best teams in the nation. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD: 9-3.

Texas A&M: After all the off season drama involving the possibility of leaving the Big 12, the Aggies will look to make a big statement in the Big 12 title race. The Aggies started the season as the ninth ranked team in the country with a big 46-14 win over SMU. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill and running back Cyrus Gray will give the Aggies a big boast in offense for this season. On defense, however, replacing Von Miller may be impossible, but Damontre Moore should fit nicely for the Aggies. Other players include Garrek Williams and Sean Porter to help the defense. The Aggies will be a threat to major Big 12 schools this year. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD 10-2.

Oklahoma: The Sooners are ranked as the number one team in the country with hopes of the winning the national title for the first time since 2000. The Sooners started the season with a 47-14 win over Tulsa, but will have a major test this weekend when they go to Tallahassee to the face the 5th ranked Florida State Seminoles. Heisman-hopeful quarterback Landry Jones leads the team this season with wide receiver Bryan Broyles as an easy target for him to throw to (top running back Demarco Murray has left for the NFL however.) The defense has several standouts, including star linebacker Travis Lewis and cornerback Jamell Flemming to give the Sooners a confidence boast on defense. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD 11-1.

Oklahoma State: The Cowboys are coming off their best season in the school’s football history, as they go in 11-2 with a win over Arizona in the Alamo Bowl. Contributing to the success last season are returning starters Biletnikoff Award winner and wide receiver Justin Blackmon, and 27 year old quarterback Brandon Weedle. The defense, however, needs some rebuilding, with young starters filling the defense up. There are some exceptionally good players on defense, like Richetti Jones, Jamie Blatnick and star linebacker Shaun Lewis. The Cowboys should be a major contender for the Big 12 title. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD 11-1.

Kansas: The Jayhawks did not have a good season last year, and they don’t look like much is coming into this season, either. The offense is led by freshman quarterback Brock Bergblund and last season’s leading rusher, sophomore running back James Sims. Defense rests a lot on the shoulders junior Toben Opurum, but other then that the defense will have to get a lot done with some young players. Expect the Jayhawks to finish as one of the bottom teams in the Big 12 this season. BOWL GAME: NO. PREDICTED RECORD 3-9.

Texas Tech: Tech will be looking for another bowl appearance this season. They started off the season with a 50-10 win over Texas State. Seth Doege will be the team leader this season after waiting his turn behind Graham Harrell and Taylor Potts. Tech will also have to replace its two top receivers from last season Lyle Leong and Detron Lewis. The defensive line is inexperienced but does have a junior college transfer Leon Mackey who leads the pack of 8 defensive line recruits. BOWL GAME: NO. PREDICTED RECORD 5-7.  

Baylor: Baylor kicks off the season with high expectations after capping off the 2010 season with their first bowl appearance in 16 years. Returning quarterback Robert Griffin III will give the offense a major boast with wide receiver Kendall Wright to help give touchdowns and big plays for the offense. The defense has a lot of major changes with players moving around to different. Many key players are also gone. Baylor did get one of its biggest wins in years with a season opening 50-48 victory over TCU, giving the Horned frogs their first regular-season loss since 2008. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD 7-5.

Missouri: The Tiger offense will have to replace Blaine Gabbert from last season, but four-star recruit James Franklin should help fill in the void. Receiver T.J. Moe, tight end Michael Edgew and rushers De’Vion Moore, Henry Josey and Kendial Lawrence will give the offense a major boost. Zaviar Gooden led the Tigers’ defense last season in tackles and safety Kenji Jackson will also assist the D-line. The Tigers started off the season with a 17-6 win over Miami (Ohio) but lost in overtime the next week to Arizona State, 37-30. Despite their loss, expect the Tigers to be a contender for the Big 12 title. BOWL GAME: YES. PREDICTED RECORD 8-4.

Kansas State: Quarterback Collin Klein leads the offense this season. With receiver Daniel Thomas leaving for the NFL, Tennessee transfer Bryce Brown seems up to the task. Brodrick Smith and Tramaine Thompson should also be assets to the offensive line. On defense, Miami transfer Arthur Brown is expected to be one of the top defenders for the team, along with David Garret ,who led the team in tackles last season. BOWL GAME: NO. PREDICTED RECORD 4-8.

Iowa State: The Cyclone’s offense will see a lot of overhaul this season, with new players coming in to fill spots for the offense. Quarterback Steele Jantz leads the offense this season. Defense, however, will create pressure against opponents with linebackers Jake Knott and A.J. Klein to create havoc. The Cyclones have been lucky the first two games this season, including a triple overtime win over Iowa, but the schedule will be brutal again for ISU. Expect them to finish last this season in the Big 12. BOWL GAME: NO. PREDICTED RECORD 2-10.

Since there is no actual Big 12 Championship game this season, every conference game will be a chance for the Big 12 title.