Steiner Ranch Mountain Biking students race in NICA competition

McRorie races to the finish line during race. Mountain biking students race on a variety of courses and trails throughout the year, including some in the Austin area  and others throughout the state.
McRorie races to the finish line during race. Mountain biking students race on a variety of courses and trails throughout the year, including some in the Austin area and others throughout the state.
Paul Burslem

From Feb. 3-4, select students from the Steiner Ranch Mountain Biking (SRMTB) competition team raced in Warda, TX at the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) competition. NICA is a non-profit organization that promotes the growth of mountain biking nationally and encourages youth biking competitions. 

“My races went pretty well,” Abby Mack, junior competitive team member, said. “I do two laps, which is five miles, and it had rained a lot the past week so it was super muddy. It was fun, but also painful because the mud made it difficult.” 

Mack placed fifth out of 13 competitors in her category. Students have the opportunity to race in a plethora of categories and lengths of events in mountain biking. 

“I think that the team really values having fun over being super competitive,” Mack said. “I enjoy getting to see a bunch of different trails and new places.”

Due to the flexibility of the program, students from a variety of backgrounds and skill levels are able to participate in the sport. Mack began biking through a program called Little Bellas in Brushy Creek in Elementary school, however, sophomore Hannah McRorie only began last year. 

“I started a little late compared to girls in my category,” McRorie said. “They’ve been biking since they could walk because their dads are into it.”

Despite this, McRorie is making significant headway in her mountain biking journey. The sophomore was the only girl racing varsity from SRMTB and placed fourth in the Warda competition, even with the inclement weather. 

“The trails were really muddy,” McRorie said. “I kept getting stuck in the mud and around three people lost their shoes on the course and had to finish without shoes.”

The SRMTB team will compete in various competitions during their spring season. The next competition is through the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association at Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville, TX. 

“[Mountain biking] has taught me to be really motivated,” McRorie said. “To get on the podium where I am now you need to improve. It has taught me to be really driven through my high school years.”