71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    82 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    66 °
    64 °
April 27
81°/ 70°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
77°/ 62°
Moderate rain
April 29
90°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy

Netflix’s newest slow-burn romance ‘One Day’ breaks records

Netflix
Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall as Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew in Netflix’s new series ‘One Day.’

Among Netflix’s top romantic films, ‘One Day’ emerges as a beautiful and heartbreaking examination of 20 years of friendship. Based on David Nicholls’ bestselling novel, the UK-set story follows the lives of Emma Morley (Ambika Mod) and Dexter Mayhew (Leo Woodall) over nearly two decades, from 1988 to 2007. The night following their graduation from the University of Edinburgh, they spend a platonic night together and agree to “just be friends.”

Spanning across 14 half-hour episodes with its authentic portrayal of English life, ‘One Day’ is a fascinating series that offers a heartfelt and honest portrayal of friendship and the passage of time. It introduces us to the main characters at the pivotal moment of their graduation where they openly discuss their aspirations for the future, surrounded by loved ones. Each episode checks in on Emma and Dexter on the same date every year, July 15 (St. Swithin’s Day), glimpsing into their lives at various stages. Sometimes, they are together on the 15th, sometimes apart but in communication, and sometimes completely cut off from one another. There are episodes where one of them only appears briefly, and a few that focus entirely on either Emma or Dexter.

Just 10 minutes in, Dexter criticizes Emma for not introducing herself before their graduation ceremony. This runs on as they both navigate relationships with others, change career paths and move to different countries. Admittedly, there are moments in the middle where the story drags due to the necessary character development and their separation, however, it really excels in telling this intense love story of seemingly unlikely equals. The two characters are of different races, genders, social classes and personalities, yet they find a way to meet each other on equal ground. As they go from strangers to best friends to partners, it feels like an intersection of Sally Rooney’s ‘Normal People’ and Taylor Jenkins Reid’s ‘Daisy Jones and the Six.’

Not only is it a feel-good romance, but the show also offers an interesting perspective on modern relationships, emphasizing the significance of sacrifice, love and passion in pursuit of being with the person you love. It’s about doing these three things for yourself and being the person you wanted to be before you fell in love. The palpable and authentic chemistry between the two is captivating, with Mod and Woodall delivering brilliant performances. Witnessing their journey feels profoundly special, and my heart ached with each moment when they loved each other yet hesitated to admit it. The dialogue is both engaging and intense, complemented by an ethereal soundtrack and stunning locations. The show does a magnificent job capturing how high stakes it feels to be in love for the first time, and it is just so brilliantly done in every single way. The way it is formed and shot, the acting and the chemistry –– it feels as if you’re watching a real relationship unfold on screen.

If you’re looking for a real, slow-burn coming-of-age story filled with love, loss, joy and sadness with a heartfelt connection, this is a must-watch. A confronting reminder that one day, there will not be another chance to tell them that you love them. Dexter and Emma each wonder at different points why it’s taken so long for anything to happen between them and the structure of the show will likely leave you just as confused and impatient. Nevertheless, I was enthralled and moved throughout, deeply invested in their journey and this series resonated with me in a way that will stay with me forever.

View Comments (4)