Firehouse Subs Lakeway donates to the Public Safety Foundation

Junior Joseph DAmato builds a sandwich at Firehouse Subs Lakeway.

Photo by Stephen King

Junior Joseph D’Amato builds a sandwich at Firehouse Subs Lakeway.

Stephen King, Writer

The Public Safety Foundation needs money to buy life-saving and fire prevention tools in order to benefit the emergency first responders such as the Lake Travis Firemen, and they receive donated money from Firehouse Subs Lakeway.

“The founders of Firehouse Subs were firemen themselves,” Steve King, owner of the restaurant, said. “They stumbled onto the Firehouse Subs concept, so they have a strong belief in giving back to the fire department, so we as an organization donate to the fire department in the local areas.”

The money that is collected for donations comes from buckets. That is, customers buying buckets that were used to carry pickles that the restaurant serves. Each bucket costs $2 and customers can buy them to be used for other purposes such as painting or car washing.

“After we’re done with the buckets,” King said. “Rather than put them in landfills, we sell them and the money goes to the Public Safety Foundation. Customers like buying them.”

Anyone can buy a bucket and donate, including students. Some students from Vandegrift actually work at Firehouse Subs Lakeway.

“I like working here,” Joseph D’Amato said. “It’s a good environment, it’s fast paced and there’s a lot of stuff going on all the time.”

If anyone wants to buy a bucket and donate to the Public Safety Foundation, they can visit Firehouse Subs Lakeway and buy a sandwich, too.