71 °
    71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    82 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    66 °
April 27
85°/ 69°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
76°/ 62°
Moderate rain
April 29
90°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy

Exploring the beauty of autumn in New England

Concord%2C+MA
Concord, MA

As the leaves on the east coast began to shed their autumnal coats of red, gold and orange, my mother and I took a trip to explore the breathtaking landscapes and rich history of New England. Nestled within the northeastern corner of the United States, this region offers a tapestry of experiences that are nothing short of magical during the fall season. If you’re a fan of fall foliage, then autumn is the perfect season to visit the east coast.

Always having held a special place in my heart, our journey began in the heart of New York City where we spent most of our time meandering through the charming streets of the West Village. In contrast to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, this neighborhood felt like a hidden sanctuary in the midst of the city that never sleeps. What truly sets the West Village apart is the sense of community and tranquility that surrounds you as you explore its streets. It’s a place where neighbors know each other by name and where the corner coffee shop becomes a daily gathering spot for locals–something I’ve learned to appreciate through my numerous visits. Of course, we stopped to grab a lox bagel at one of my favorite shops: the infamous Tompkins Square Bagels in the Flatiron District.

New York City, NY

With the windows down and Noah Kahan’s Stick Season blasting in the background, we made our way up the coast, stopping in New Haven and Washington Depot, Connecticut. As we ventured further north, the landscape began to change dramatically. From wandering the hallowed halls of Yale University in New Haven to roaming around Washington Depot, a town that famously inspired the beloved “Gilmore Girls,” it was a perfect blend of academics and small-town charm.

Boston: America’s renowned college town. As a soon-to-be graduating senior, I finally got to visit the city I’ve long dreamed of attending school in someday. Hoping to turn my dreams into reality, I couldn’t resist exploring the campuses of Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern University and Harvard University (just for enjoyment). Apart from college visits, we spent our time walking through Beacon Hill, one of Boston’s oldest neighborhoods, marveling at its architectural elegance. The gas lamps that still flicker on the streets and the cobblestone paths that line the townhouses really gave it that historic, intimate appeal.

Vermont, often crowned as the jewel of New England during the fall, lived up to its reputation. Indulging in fresh apple cider and donuts in the crisp autumn air, time seemed to slow down. Coming from the south, Woodstock and Stowe embraced us with weather that felt worlds apart from Texas. The leaves are genuinely indescribable there and all of the quaint towns were something out of a Hallmark movie. 

From the crowded streets of New York City to the tranquil landscapes of Vermont, our journey through New England was certainly the road less traveled, and it made all the difference in the world to me. Each city holds its own unique charm and someday I hope to call this region home.