C2 Forum renews student’s H.O.P.E

Lauren Conroy, Staff Writer

Hope is a word that we like to use a lot but don’t really know the meaning to. At this year’s C2 Spring Forum, students were taught that HOPE stands for “Hold On, Possibilities Exist.” This valuable lesson, along with several others were taught at the forum last Friday. This year it was boot camp- themed and hosted by Vandegrift’s C2 chapter. Almost 300 students from around the district came out to go through “basic training”.

The highlight of the day was when wounded veteran, Rick Yarosh spoke to the students. The O’Malley family generously flew him from New York after being inspired by his story and instigated to share it. Yarosh (and his service dog Amus) shared the awe-inspiring story of the roadside bombing he endured, the injuries that that caused, and the hope that he fought to cling to throughout his recovery. Students were then urged to apply his lesson to the trials and tribulations of their lives.

The O’Malley’s senior daughter Lauren said, “I recently met Rick in the fall when he talked at my sister’s school. I think high school is such a hard time for so many people, and many choose to give up working on their goals. After hearing his speech in the fall, I thought that the C2 students would benefit from hearing his message.”

Along with Yarosh’s speech, C2 members participated in an obstacle course inspired by the military’s actual basic training, listened to a variety of student speakers account there own trials, discussed, learned and laughed among peers from around the district and enjoyed chopped beef sandwiches provided by Rudy’s.

The forum was a success. Upon leaving students attached a “link” inscribed with their take-away from the day to a massive chain. It was evident that everyone got something out of the event and left better than they came.

The forum would not have been possible without the help of several community businesses. The double platinum sponsor of the event was Brian Charles salon, the platinum sponsor was Austin Baptist Church and the silver sponsors were Conroy Select Properties, Four Paws @ Four Points, CHARM, Cups and Cones and Rising Star Pediatric Dentistry.