The Interest Behind Pinterest

Dani Siek and Emily Sherrell, Staff Writers

Pinterest has gained popularity since its start in December 2009 and has made its way into become one of the top 50 websites in 2011, according to Time Magazine. Since gaining popularity, “pinterest parties” have also become prevalent. Here, pinners bring supplies for crafts, baking, sewing and home decorating and all participate in the making together. With this productive social outlet, Pinterest is sure to stay on top of the list.

“I’ve been pinning for about four or five months now. It seems like there’s so many new users every day. I’d definitely say it’s still growing,” sophomore Mia Chiarelli said.

Being creative isn’t everyone’s strong point. Searching the internet for ideas and recipes is something that many people do. But what happens when your computer becomes a jumble of different ideas just thrown into files that you thought you would remember but you never do? That where Pinterest steps in.

Pinterest is filled with ideas about anything you can imagine, in picture form. Often times, the picture is a link to where you can buy or learn to make the item in the picture. Pinterest is described by its creators as a “Virtual pin board- a place where you can create collections of things you love and “follow” collections created by people with great taste.”

Why use Pinterest? It’s a way to neatly store all your new ideas in one spot that’s convenient to refer back to at any time. You can create separate boards to help keep everything organized and neat. When searching for pictures, separate categories to choose from help you find exactly what you want.

You can look under everything from Hair and Beauty tips to DIY and Crafts. Pinterest is aimed more toward a feminine audience. And girls like Katy Gallien and Paige Lichtenberger are getting their craft on with a Pinterest inspired business, selling handmade key fobs. The girls got the idea off of the popular site and are executing production with ease thanks to their online boards.

But it is not all about the ladies, the site also features boards about sports and cars are also available for guy users.

Pinterest has something for everyone, whether its fitness ideas for getting your dream body or planning out your future wedding, there’s a pin for it.