Curtain Call: Senior admitted to New York University for drama

Gavin Stubbings plays the character Oliver Rivers in the VHS Theatre production of Puffs.
Kylie Pucong

Senior Gavin Stubbings has worn many faces while onstage: an irritated husband, a nerdy wizard and a pompous ex-boyfriend, to name a few. Now, he dazzles once again in his role as a student of a prestigious drama program. However, this role is not a role at all – it’s reality.

Jerry Sloan (Gavin Stubbings) and Hector Lopez (Elija Brooks) watch as the quarrel ensues. (Rylie Lockerman)

After four years in the Vandegrift Theater Program, starring in multiple productions, Stubbings was admitted into New York University’s (NYU) Tisch School of Arts for drama. Despite New York City’s famous correlation with Broadway, Stubbings intends to pursue a more film-focused acting career. 

“[My want to be an actor] probably dated back before I even started theater. Watching movies when I was really young, specifically just Marvel movies,” Stubbings said. “I was like, ‘I really want to be in one of those. I can be a superhero.’”

As a child, Stubbings attended an acting camp in which he created his first ever movie. Though admitting to its lack of objective prestige, he believes the experience, both fun and new at the time, fueled his passion for film-focused acting.

“As I’ve grown up, my dad has always shown me films, and it’s just inspired me to be an actor even more because I’ve always wanted to look up at a screen and see myself there,” Stubbings said. “I decided that if I’m going to do something with my life, I’m going to make sure that I enjoy it – that’s what I found acting.”

Though Stubbings’ participation in theater began at Cedar Ridge Middle School, the COVID-19 pandemic cut his opportunities short for a time. However, after the end of the pandemic, his passion immediately reignited as he gained lead roles as Oliver in ‘Puffs’ in his sophomore year, Jerry in ‘Squabbles’ in his junior year, and most recently as Warner in ‘Legally Blonde.’ 

“As I’ve grown up, my dad has always shown me films, and it’s just inspired me to be an actor even more because I’ve always wanted to look up at a screen and see myself there. I decided that if I’m going to do something with my life, I’m going to make sure that I enjoy it – that’s what I found acting.”

— Gavin Stubbings (12)

“There’s a whole environment based around [theater]. We all hang out in the green room for lunch and we’re always hanging out outside of school,” Stubbings said. “We go to a lot of events together and for [One Act Plays] we even went on a cabin trip. A lot of the theater department is really close and a lot of the people are really good friends. Everyone knows each other.”

With tens of students active within the Vandegrift theater program – actors and crew alike – the community is not small by any means. However, with over 8 million people living within New York City, and over 50,000 at NYU alone, it’s unlikely that this community will shrink in Stubbings’ transition to NYU. 

“When I opened the email that had my letter, and I read the first line, it didn’t say anything about getting admitted. But then I read more and more and it said ‘You’ve been selected to be in the drama program,’” Stubbings said. “I didn’t believe it. I think I read it like three or four times before I fully realized I’d gotten in.”

NYU decisions came out on March 28 – the infamous ‘Ivy Day’ where ivy-league universities release their decisions. However, after facing two rejections, Stubbings chose to wait to open his most anticipated letter until he returned home.  

“There are so many alumni and famous actors that went there that always come in and teach,” Stubbings said. “This is going to provide me with so many connections that will help me in later life with acting. I think that it’s going to be the start of my career.”

The notable alumni network of NYU can be humbly described as impressive. With graduates including Hollywood icons – such as director Martin Scorsese and actress Anne Hathaway – the NYU Tisch School of Arts’ wide recognition as one of the most prestigious drama programs in the country, seems logical. 

“I’m a little scared just because, of course, New York is a huge city. But I’m excited because New York has been a place that I’ve wanted to live forever – I’ve always liked the big city setting,” Stubbings said. “It’s going to be a really big transition, but I’m going to get to experience new things.”