68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    82 °
    85 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    86 °
    84 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
88°/ 66°
Sunny
88°/ 68°
May 1
83°/ 70°
Moderate rain

Pretty in pink: Message behind theater department’s upcoming show

Performing+the+musical+number+What+You+Want+Izzey+Riley+dances+up+to+the+front+of+the+stage.+This+number+is+one+of+the+largest+dances+executed+in+Legally+Blonde+The+Musical.+
Lourdes Hernandez Peraza
Performing the musical number “What You Want” Izzey Riley dances up to the front of the stage. This number is one of the largest dances executed in Legally Blonde The Musical.

[“Legally Blonde The Musical”] shows you that it’s okay to be girly and it’s okay to be fun. People might see you as weak but there’s really this sort of strength and be like your own femininity and being girly”

The bright stage lights shone as melodic, harmonious singing resounded in the auditorium.  Flashy pink dresses, shiny pink heels, and velvety tracksuits pranced around the  stage. Such was the scene that could be witnessed at the “Legally Blonde the Musical” rehearsal.

The theater department is currently preparing for their upcoming performance of the award-winning musical, “Legally Blonde.” Based on the popular 2000s movie, this performance will be held on Oct. 26- 28  at the school’s auditorium. Directed by Jon Alonso, the show features numerous dances and songs.

“We really wanted to start the year with something high-energy, some [with] fun vibes,” Alonso said. “Legally Blonde fits [that].” 

Maile Boswell, Sarah Benedict, and Sierra Kinelski, who play the Delta Nu girls from Legally Blonde The Musical, rehearse their songs. photo by Max Hunter 

The show includes 18 different musical numbers and 16 scenes, with some jovial songs such as “Bend and Snap” and “Positive.”

“The show comes light-hearted at first, but it really shows Elle’s  perseverance and her willingness to keep going,” Izzey Riley, who plays the role of Elle Woods, said. “Even though people don’t believe in her, she believes in herself.”

“Legally Blonde The Musical” follows Elle, a stereotypical blonde who, after following her ex-boyfriend, makes a name for herself at Harvard Law School.

“[Elle] believes in getting [into] Harvard and what everyone thought would be impossible for her,” Kaitlin Black, one of the double-casted Elle Woods, said. “I feel like it shows this great role model aspect [about her].”

Although the show is targeted towards teen audiences and young adults, it has something for every age.

During the closing scene of Legally Blonde The Musical, cast members sit at their respective benches awaiting instruction from director Jon Alonso (Lourdes Hernandez Peraza)

“There’s still a lot of sexism today, [and in] every generation I feel [Elle has] showed that girls can do a lot,” Black said. “It’s very girl power [and] full circle with ‘Barbie.’”

Although the show has been around for two decades, this pink revolution has been revived by the new “Barbie” , which premiered over the summer. 

“Both ‘Barbie’ and ‘Legally Blonde’ are based on stereotypes that we think of,” Alonso said. “ People can relate to those stereotypes, and I think that’s universal. I think everybody feels like they’re looked at a certain way but both [‘Barbie’] and [‘Legally Blonde’ show us that we can be more than that and learn from ourselves.” 

Although “Legally Blonde the Musical” is a feminine show, there still isis still  room for more than girls in the seats of this show’s audience.

“This show is very funny and it’s not just for girls,” Max Hunter, who plays the role of Emmett, said. “It’s a very fun show for everyone [and] teaches you some good lessons. Don’t judge people [by] their pink.” 

The show promises the audience with humor and a good time, even with its theme aside.

“Even if you don’t take away the big plot and the message, I think [‘Legally Blonde the Musical’] is so fun,” Riley said. “ It’s just one big [musical] number after the next and it’s full of excitement.”

Tickets and more information for the school’s production of “Legally Blonde the Musical” are available at www.vandytheaterco.com.