70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    82 °
    85 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    86 °
    84 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
April 29
86°/ 65°
Sunny
April 30
90°/ 65°
Sunny
May 1
80°/ 69°
Moderate rain

Girls’ Soccer to Host Women’s Self-Defense Seminar

soccer

Girls’ Soccer is hosting Dangerously Cute, a woman’s self-defense seminar, on January 11 from 11:00am to 2:00pm.

“I’ve been around self-defense instruction for the past 15 years and I feel it is an invaluable skill for females. I wanted the girls’ soccer program to host the self-defense seminar initially because of how much I care about my girls and their families. Plus, I thought it would toughen them up even more,” girls’ soccer coach, Coach Hardy said.

To attend Dangerously Cute, participants need to pay thirty dollars and register online at krav-maga-san-antonio.com/?p=6886. Girls are asked to wear long workout pants, a t-shirt, sports bra, athletic shoes and no jewelry.

“I took it last year. It was three hours long and for the first two hours you learn basic self-defense. Then for the last hour you take on a 300 pound body bag; you’re on the floor and you have to use all your moves to get it off. It’s really fun,” junior girls’ soccer member, Kylie Morse said.

You do not need to be in girls’ soccer to attend; all girls older than age twelve are invited. It is at the Austin Baptist Church.

“The soccer girls are promoting this seminar because we want to get all other sports to join in,” Morse said.

Coach Hardy was inspired to host the self-defense seminar after hearing about the growing problem of rape on college campuses.

“Unfortunately in today’s society, the need for knowledge of such defenses is at an all-time high. Reported rape on college campuses has tripled in the last 2years and 1 in every 4 women will be sexually assaulted, most before they graduate college,” Coach Hardy said.

Dangerously Cute will be hosted by San Antonio’s STW Krav Maga and led by Coach Hardy’s father, Pete Hardy.

“He is not only one of very few second degree black belts but is also trained for body guarding as well a tactical trainer of many of the armed forces in San Antonio,” Coach Hardy said.