79 °
    77 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    88 °
    87 °
    85 °
81°/ 62°
Moderate rain
88°/ 66°
86°/ 70°

AP Chemistry: The most challenging science class?

Asher Gerson

Late nights and a multitude of morning tutorials take up the time of many AP students. Students pack in as many AP classes in order to improve their college applications, which ultimately adds more stress to the life of a high school student. However, there are a few AP classes that stand out due to their challenging subjects and rigorous coursework. One of these classes, which has been talked about among many students, is AP Chemistry.

AP Chemistry has earned its reputation as one of the most challenging Advanced Placement science classes among students. “It’s fast paced and it works very much like a college course. You have to be very on top of your work and you have to be able to organize everything yourself.” said junior Melina Yan.  

“It’s a lot of content that builds on itself and it’s a lot of application which is generally a hard skill. It takes a lot of practice to do well.” said AP Chemistry teacher Mr. Edgar. 

Sophomores are required to take either on-level chemistry or an advanced chemistry class, which then prepares them for the option of taking AP Chemistry their following years of high school. The sophomore-level chemistry classes are challenging on their own for many, however its topics are considered to be mild compared to the concepts learned in AP Chemistry. 

“Because it’s an introductory class, the concepts are a lot simpler, and the questions that we ask students to work are also a lot easier. There are some concepts in AP Chemistry that we do not cover in sophomore chemistry.” said Edgar. 

AP Chemistry also dives into subjects with immense detail, which is considered to be one of the most challenging aspects of the class. “It goes deeper into subjects we’ve already learned, but again it’s very fast paced and the way it’s structured is very different.” Yan said. 

Homework is graded for accuracy in AP Chemistry, which can be a challenge for some students as the concepts could be challenging to work through. “It’s important to have other people in the class to help you with the work,” said Yan. 

Illustration by Yejoo Kim

Even with the fast pace of the class and the multitude of assignments over complex ideas, AP Chemistry is still enjoyed among those who choose to take it. 

“Some people just joined the class for the credit, but I think it’s beneficial because it does teach you skills that you’ll need in college as well, not just chemistry,” said Yan. 

AP Chemistry’s reputation will continue to go on as one of the most difficult science classes to take during one’s high school career. However, the subject appeals to many and the course may encourage those with a passion for science. Collaborative labs and the use of application skills are what makes this class unique, and the skills you earn will ultimately help you in and out of the classroom. 

“It’s probably the best class at Vandegrift,” Edgar said, “It’ll push you but at the end of the day you’ll come out of it better than how you started.”

The question of whether or not a student should take this class may still be debated, but it entirely depends on one’s determination to learn and apply their skills in such a stimulating learning environment. 

“The world is science. Chemistry is all around, you can’t really escape it so learning about [chemistry] is learning about the world all over again, but at times two speed.” Yan said.