65 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
March 28
75°/ 49°
Sunny
March 29
74°/ 56°
Partly Cloudy
March 30
78°/ 59°
Overcast

Girls Golf Team Takes First Place at Tournament

The Vandegrift girls Varsity golf team took first place at the Stevens Girls Invitational this past Friday. The Lady Viper golfers that competed at the tournament included seniors Emily Rue and Chandler Thomas, juniors Mia Chiarelli and Emily Garbutt and sophomore Erin Fahey (10). The girls together shot a 328 to end the tournament and take home first place.                

“We all were able to pull together as a team and perform well. We won the tournament and beat Cedar Park, which has been a goal of ours for a while. It was a great feeling to know that our hard work paid off,” Rue said of the tournament win.

Emily Rue has been on the golf team since Vandegrift first opened and has been a major contributor to the team for the past few years. The Lady Viper golf team has worked to achieve winning highly competitive tournaments like the Stevens Girls Invitational. The rivalry between Vandegrift and Cedar Park is very important to athletes from both schools; it is a great accomplishment for the Lady Viper golfers to admit to defeating the Lady Timberwolves golf team.

“Our win was a great confidence boost going into this fall season. We have all been putting in so much work every day and are proud to represent our high school. And beating Cedar Park by two strokes was the icing on the cake,” Garbutt said.

The varsity girls’ golf team has been working towards wins like this which will guarantee them a successful season in the upcoming year. This past win gave the girls’ team the confidence to take home more tournament wins. The Lady Vipers intend to have a great season this year. The girls’ next tournament is the Georgetown tournament on November 2-3.

“It felt like the hard work that everyone has put into this team throughout the past three years is going to be rewarded this season. The tournament at the Golf Club of Texas was just a preview of a great season to come,” Thomas said.