Winning cross country team looks ahead to regional competition

Megan Messer, Opinions Editor

After winning first place in the UIL district meet last Thursday, both boys and girls varsity cross country teams will advance to regionals. The team will be competing in the Region II-6A Championships in Grand Prairie Monday morning.

“All divisions of our team absolutely dominated the district meet,” junior Erin Donohue said. “We killed it out there!”

The coach praised the whole team’s performance across all levels.

“I’m very proud of our girls and boys teams for their performance at the district meet,” Cross Country Coach Collin Sully said. “From freshmen to JV to varsity races, everyone performed exceptionally well. I’m stoked that both varsity teams won the district meet and that we are moving on to regionals.”

Team practice starting at 6:15 a.m. can be difficult. However, team members agree that it helps to remain positive and encourage others to do their best. At this point in the season, they say training is demanding and it is important to focus on advancing to the next level.

“This week we are training harder than ever, we practice every day in the mornings,” junior Taylor Mathis said. “It’s a lot of work but I try to bring a positive attitude and try to have fun.”

The upcoming Region II-6A Championships Qualifier is in Dallas on Monday. The team will travel there by bus this weekend to compete on Monday morning. If the team advances they will qualify for state.

“Out of town meets are always so fun because you get to bond and spend time with your friends on the never-ending bus rides,” Donohue said, “as well as having a sleepover and preparing for the meet together.”

The meet will be held at the Jesse Owens Athletic Complex in Dallas.  Girls race at 11 a.m. Boys race at 11:30 a.m. The coach is hopeful that the team will be successful despite challenges because of recent flooding in the region.

“I’m anxious to get our team up to Dallas to compete,” Sully said. “The course was just changed due to flooding, so now we are competing on a course that we have not seen.”