• Thanksgiving Break November 19-23

• Football Playoffs vs. Tomball Memorial Friday at Monroe

Vet Med team advances to Nationals

FFA competed in the State CDE competition at Texas A&M on April 28. Vandegrift placed first in Vet Med by .667 of a point.

“The most challenging part of the competition was identifying,” junior Zach Roush said. “Our team members individually identify different breeds of livestock, horses, poultry, dogs, cats, reptiles and small animals. We identify many almost identical parasites and parasite eggs, along with that we identify different organs in livestock, and companion animals. Lastly, we identify tools used the the veterinary world.”

Zach Roush scored the highest, followed by Laures Stevens, Madeleine Rawlings, and Natalie Kelliher. The Vet Med team will compete at the national contest held in October in Indianapolis on Oct. 24 – 27.

“For nationals there will definitely be many many practices over the summer since the competition isn’t until October,” Rawlings said. “We will follow our regular strategies but go into deeper depth because what we have been doing so far has been working out really well.”

The team has been training all year to be successful. Countless hours both in and out of school have been what the team does to work towards where they are.

“We’ve had practice two-three times a week starting at 7:00 am since early January,” Roush said. “I’ve also spent countless hours taking practice tests and teaching myself helpful clues and hints when identifying breeds, parasites, organs and instruments.”

Nationals will require more rigorous and in depth training. More hours and practice will have to be applied for the team to be a success at the competition.

“Nationals is going to take a lot more practice and memorizing of not only the material we know, “ Kelliher said. “But also new material and events that are specific to the national competition like a group skills practicum performance.”

Attending the national competition in October is groundbreaking for not only Vandegrift, but all of LISD.

“We are the first CDE team to go to nationals in LISD history, but we are quickly learning information on nationals,” Roush said. “There will be one representative team from every state competing for cash prizes, scholarship opportunities, and the title of best Vet Science team in the country. To prepare for nationals we will have more practice and more hard work so we can be the best.”

About the Writers
Hallie Locke, Social Media
Hallie is a senior at Vandegrift this year. This is her second year on the Vandegrift Voice staff. When she’s not writing for the Voice, she loves hanging out with her friends or spending quality time with her family. She will be attending the University of Tennessee in Knoxville next fall.
Blakely Dimiero, Staff Reporter
Blakely is a junior and this year is her second year on the newspaper staff. She loves to be taking pictures and out with her friends. She owns her own online blog and photography website. She is also involved in yearbook. She loves to workout and try fun new things to do.
Chloe Strader, Staff Reporter
Chloe Strader is a junior and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She is excited to be apart of the staff. She is on the Vandegrift Girl's Lacrosse team and is involved in C Squared as well. She hopes to attend Syracuse University.