My four years of being an assistant stage manager for the Legacies Vanguard

Sophia Alaniz, Web Editor

I have been an assistant stage manager for the Legacies Vanguard spring show for my whole high school career. The duties of the stage manager can include sweeping the stage to fixing a light in the middle of a performance, which I had to do this year. The first show was entitled “What’s your story?” and it was one of my favorite to work because one of the set pieces was this ginormous book. The ginormous book came out during a black-out, which gave the crew like maybe 10-20 second to set it and shuffle off stage. The scariest moment of my technical theatre career was watching that book start to tip over on stage. The two crew members on said they shared a look, which some would say resembles a look of pure terror and determination. The duo decided to save the show and the expensive book by catching it and stop it from rolling off onto any dancers or the cyc.

But this year has been my favorite, not only was I a senior and the tech was really fun, I was also the lead assistant stage manager. This years show, World Tour 8.0 also included some of my favorite dances, with the exception of the skirt dance last year. The dancers did a tribute to each region of the world. They brought in bollywood dancers from Vandegrift’s own Bollywood dance club, and they brought in Muv dance company to do some feature dances. But my favorite tribute was the one for New York. They did dances to music from Hairspray, Mamma Mia, Newsies and Hamilton. My favorite was the one for Mamma Mia as it is one of my favorite musicals. The one thing that really got to me was the senior dance, given I am a senior. I never understood the beauty of the dance until I was a senior and I fell in love with everything about the dance. The white dresses, the lavender in the hair and the move where they catch each other at the end. The show had so much more feeling because I was a senior, even the senior slide show got to me. Teching the Legacies dance show, has been and will always be one of my my favorite shows to tech.