71 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
79°/ 70°
Moderate rain
84°/ 69°
78°/ 68°
Moderate rain

A Halloween That’s Sure to Scare

The dilemma has been haunting adolescents for ages: to trick or treat or to not? While some parents slam the door in our faces, others more than welcome us to take their candy.

“We’re not too old to trick or treat. You’re never too old for candy,” senior JT Morton said.

The conflict of an appropriate trick or treating age has split lovers of Halloween right down the middle.

“It’s okay to trick or treat, but only if you are taking around little kids,” sophomore Rachel Cook said.

While it’s up to you to decide if it’s okay to beg for candy, we’ll offer you some alternative options to roaming the streets.

The classic Halloween party is always an option for teenagers, and there are plenty of resources to help plan a great party. Foodnetwork.com and Pinterest offer a variety of decorating ideas and recipes for Halloween goodies. Target Superstores has a wide and affordable selection of Halloween games and decorations.

This Halloween you can find a scare for a good cause in the Four Points area. Vandegrift senior Kyle Gruber is bringing back his Steiner Ranch haunted house benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project, The Gruber Fund, and a cancer foundation for a local family.

“I stopped after my Sophmore year (2010) due to not having enough time to build it and all. But in 2010 we started raising money for charity. That’s How the Gruber Fund started at VHS,” senior Gruber said.

Gruber, who also works at local haunted house House of Torment, is holding the event Oct. 20th, Oct. 27th, Oct. 31st, and Nov. 3rd at 4317 Canyon Glen Circle in Steiner Ranch from sundown until midnight. There is a $2 entrance fee.

Scare for a Cure, a Halloween staple in the Austin area, is back. The “Summer Camp Massacre” themed haunted house will donate all of its proceeds to cancer-related charities and organizations. It has moved from its former Four Points location to Manor, Texas. Scare for a Cure will be held on Oct. 18-20, October 25-27, and Halloween night. Tickets must be bought in advance at scareforacure.org.