Prom is a memory

The light of my life! Jon’s promposal to me consisted of 50 tealight candles, a balcony and a whole lot of excitement from me. Laura Figi photo

Laura Figi, Web Editor in Chief

Prom is famous for being a magical night for high school girls. Movies, TV and even music glorify the night to be one of the best nights of any junior or senior’s high school career. It is meant to make students feel special, and it has become one of the most celebrated nights throughout the U.S. and Canada. Prom only comes around twice in high school and with May 14 rapidly approaching, girls are scrambling to get everything together to preserve the tradition of a perfect evening.
Prom is an important rite of passage for high school students and something that everyone should get to experience.
Prom is glorified almost everywhere and is something that kids, young girls especially, look forward to for years. Some girls will start planning their ideal prom in elementary school, and if they have older siblings they will see it firsthand. Many schools do everything they can to cater to a perfect night by securing a venue, getting a band or DJ to play and holding prom royalty elections. It was created to give upperclassmen a last hurrah—an evening that every girl can look back on fondly.
Prom is usually the most formal event in high school, and most of the excitement comes from dressing up in fancy dresses and suits, but pre-prom celebrations can be just as fun as the dance itself. For instance, “Promposals,” which are exactly what they sound like, can take place up more than a month advance from prom. They often include a witty saying, candy, teddy bears, or some type of grand romantic gesture. Some are very elaborately planned, and some are very simple. The excitement of prom doesn’t just last for one night: the hype can last more than a month before the celebration.
However fun the idea of prom may be, it can get a little pricey. Tickets alone this year will cost $65 dollars per person, dresses are usually more than $100, and buying or renting a tux will cost upwards of $300, and additional costs like limos, dinner, salons and accessories can add up quickly. Despite all of these growing costs, there are ways to avoid spending big bucks. Renting tuxes and dresses can cut costs by more than half on average, and sometimes by three, which leaves more room for dinner. Goodwill is known to sell bargains on shoes, shirts and accessories, and often times it is more fun to drive to prom with friends. Almost all costs can be avoided at full price, making for a more enjoyable prom experience, and by putting some cash back into pockets.
Prom is meant to be an unforgettable night to look back on, even though it can end up costing a pretty penny. However, it is something that everyone who wants to experience it should have the opportunity. This year, prom will be held at the Westin at the Domain and it starts at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased on the VHS webstore for $65 dollars each and no tickets will be sold at the door.