Teacher Spotlight: Patteson

Abby Knowles, Feature Editor, Ads Manager

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

My mom was a special education teacher.  I “played school” during the summer with my cousin Amy (we’d both make lesson plans from a reading book named Pug and we’d even grade papers during our conference time).  We both became teachers.

Have you taught anywhere? Where?

I was a teaching assistant for the freshman survey course of U.S. History for 2 ½ years at Oklahoma State.  My first high school teaching job was at West High School in West, Texas.  I had the unusual experience of teaching with my own high school teachers.  I could never bring myself to call my biology teacher, Mrs. Siems, by her first name Bernice.  I also taught govt/econ to my own Sophomore English teacher’s daughter!  Eating lunch in the teacher workroom was the weirdest.

What is your favorite part about being a teacher?

My favorite part about teaching is that every day is different!  I get to teach and learn from amazing students.  I have had awesome, inspiring teams with which I’ve gotten to work.  With social studies I even get variety in my content: architecture, politics, art, science, math, literature…it is all in our history!

When you were in school, what was your favorite subject? Why?

I love math!  I is puzzles and logic and fun—geometry is especially beautiful.

What is one fun fact about yourself?

I have never lived more than 17 miles off I-35…Waco, West, Austin, Waco, Stillwater, Waco, Austin…but I love to travel.  New Zealand has been my favorite trip so far.