72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    76 °
79°/ 64°
83°/ 68°
77°/ 70°

Christmas Sweaters:the good, the bad, the ugly

The tacky Christmas sweater: everyone’s favorite fashion faux-pas.

From sequin reindeers to yarn Christmas trees, nothing says “holiday season” like a delightfully outrageous festive sweater. The holidays are a time for happiness, and it’s almost impossible not to smile when you spot a person decked out in tacky holiday glam. While they might not be the most fashion forward addition to your winter ensemble, Christmas sweaters are bound to be your most fun holiday accessory. Who doesn’t love a tacky sweater party?

Granted, when our parents used to show off their own sweaters back in the day, they took themselves pretty seriously. And, as awful as it is to imagine your mom raving about the beauty of a beaded Christmas tree sweater, that’s what makes them so enjoyable for us to wear now. While we spend the majority of the year keeping up with the latest trends and putting pretty serious efforts into looking our best, a tacky sweater during the holiday season gives us a chance to look absolutely ridiculous and learn to laugh at ourselves.

As unsightly as it might be to wear a combination of wool and sequins, the festive vibe of tacky sweaters feels like taking all the joy of the holiday season and wearing it. Dressing in an over-the-top Christmas sweater is like taking all the decorations you put in your house and on your tree, and bringing that festive energy into your outfit. In reality, holiday decorations are pretty tacky and overstated. No, that doesn’t mean your Christmas lights don’t look wonderful or that you shouldn’t continue to put those moving reindeer made of lights on your front lawn. Those are the things that make Christmas so special. The holidays are the one time of the year that people are allowed to be flash, obnoxious and overly excited without that being a bad thing. The holiday season wouldn’t be complete without decorations, so why not decorate your wardrobe, too?

While they might not be cute and they’ll never be trendy, holiday sweaters are a staple for the Christmas season. The holidays are about bringing joy to others, so remember: no matter how silly you look, your friends and family will have a great time laughing about it.