77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    72 °
    72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    80 °
    83 °
    84 °
    82 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
79°/ 69°
Moderate rain
85°/ 69°
76°/ 68°
Moderate rain

Students Give Back To Community During Holidays

Throughout the holiday season, Vandegrift students have been looking for ways to give back to the community. This year, many clubs and organizations in Vandegrift have decided to step up to help others.

Vandegrift is sponsoring a canned food drive to benefit the Northwest Rural Community Center. All five LISD high schools are participating in the drive, creating a competition between schools. In addition, Vandegrift will host a Toys for Tots drive later in the year.

Interact, a service club, will be offering numerous opportunities to volunteer. Denise Bui, president of Interact, said Interact will be working to get the school involved with events.

“We will have a giving tree where we can provide children with things they cannot afford themselves. We will also work with the Capital Area Food Bank to help out during the winter break,” Bui said.

National Honor Society will wrap gifts for needy families at Brown Santa. Members will also have the opportunity to participate in Mobile Loaves & Fishes Fun Run to raise money for the homeless and disadvantaged.

The Vandegrift Student Council has been working hard to organize a canned food drive. They are also organizing a Secret Santa for Vandegrift teachers.

The numerous events have made it easy for students to get involved. Many students are taking time out of their Thanksgiving and winter break to serve others.

“It’s really important that students do something to give back to the less fortunate. There are plenty of opportunities to reach out, especially over the holidays, and we should take them,” Bui said.