67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    69 °
    72 °
    75 °
    75 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    78 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
78°/ 66°
83°/ 70°
84°/ 71°

Vandegrift Gives Back

Every year before Christmas, Vandegrift participates in Operation Christmas Child, an event that helps the less fortunate by donating wrapped shoeboxes that are filled with a variety of items that an underprivileged child overseas would need.

From Oct. 28 – Nov. 21, Vandegrift students, parents, and staff donated their wrapped shoeboxes to give to the less fortunate children in Sudan and Kenya in Africa. These already wrapped boxes included a necessity, such as a toothbrush or washcloth, a toy, and a nonperishable treat for either a boy or girl. Students then dropped their boxes off in different social studies classrooms.

“I had a great time organizing and wrapping gifts. It’s awesome to have different people across the campus work together for the same cause,” English teacher Kirsten Mulligan said.

Operation Christmas Child began in 1993 at the hand of Samaratin’s Purse, an organization that supports the less fortunate and spreads the Christian faith overseas. More than 100 million children in more than 130 countries all over the world have received a gift, experiencing the love and joy that comes with each box.

“Students realized that even a small gift can make a huge difference to one child, and each gift makes a difference, no matter how small it may seem,” Mulligan said

A number of clubs also joined in the event including Key Club, a club that promotes community service throughout the school, by filling and wrapping different shoeboxes to be sent to their location.

“It was great filling and wrapping the shoeboxes because you could see how much everyone cared and that the small actions you take can bring joy to many others,” Key Club member Kellie Walker said.

By participating in this event, Vandegrift students and staff showed their support to those less fortunate in Africa and will participate in Operation Christmas Child for years to come.

“It’s amazing how the school is able to come together and send kids who normally don’t get to experience Christmas some spirit during the holidays,” sophomore Sahira Kodra said.