77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    78 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
April 25
78°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
April 26
83°/ 70°
Patchy rain nearby
April 27
84°/ 71°
Patchy rain nearby

Austin’s Top 5 Cheap Eats

In no particular order

1. P.Terry’s – With a combo meal for less than five dollars, who cares what the food taste likes. Luckily, with the 2008 “Best Fries” award from Rare Magazine under their belt, chicken burgers, hamburgers, and veggie burgers, not to mention the to-die-for milkshakes; taste is one thing P. Terry does not have to worry about. Although current locations may be out of reach, a P.Terry’s burger stand is set to open in the Lakeway area this year.
  2. Torchy’s Tacos- Although the hot sauce is award winning, you can bet the uniquely named tacos are just as good. Oversized is an understatement for the single order taco meal of the dine-in/drive through, with options for breakfast lunch and dinner, and even desert, you may as well set up a tent and stay. Although locations are currently almost out of reach, the franchise is growing, and will soon open up a dine-in location by HEB Plus on 620. 
  3. Rudy’s- Although the barbeque-gas station combo begun in the San Antonio area, Rudy’s Country Store and Barbeque still feels like a local hang out. Stop in for some gas; walk out with a half pound of extra moist brisket, a loaf of white bread and a glass of sweet tea. With a hand washing station and a brand new car wash, you can eat sloppy, yet walk out sparkling clean. Rudy’s has locations all around the Austin area, the closest being a mile past the 620, 2222 intersection.
  4. Magnolia Café- “Everybody knows everybody goes” The downtown eatery’s slogan sets the tone for the way Magnolia does business. Relaxed, cool, and confident, oh and the food is great too. Open 24/7, breakfast served all day, and food for the taste buds of all mankind. The locations are both downtown, but well worth the drive, but at 2 AM you don’t really have to worry about traffic.
  5. Austin Java- Yes, they serve more than just coffee at the airport. The Austin franchise’s roots began at 12th and Lamar, but have since expanded to multiple locations. With French toast comparable to what they must serve in heaven, Austin Java has got it going on. For a to-go drink, or a sit in dinner, this is the place to be. Although the more-than-coffee shop does not have plans to expand to our side of town anytime soon, we can still admire from afar.