68 °
    65 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
March 28
75°/ 49°
Sunny
March 29
74°/ 56°
Partly Cloudy
March 30
78°/ 59°
Overcast

Viper Volleyball Excels With New Coach

Bump, set, spike!  Volleyball season is here again. Varsity is off to a strong start with a  winning record of 20-8, including a gold medal win in the Copperas Cove tournament and Cedar Creek.  This is Coach McCarter’s inaugural season with the Vipers after leaving Weatherford High School to a 5A state win.  The team has adjusted well to the new coach, after Coach Schier resigned in May due to personal reasons. 

“I am extremely proud of the varsity volleyball team. They have been extremely receptive to my coaching, the four seniors have been great leaders, and the team has a close bond,” Coach McCarter said.

“It was tough losing Coach Schier, but we all knew we needed to accept the new coach and move forward as a team,” junior Mollie Bailey said.

Tryouts were held in the first week of August-and the team has been busy preparing for district play ever since. 

“This is a very tough district.  We will have to play consistently and limit our unforced errors in order to be successful,” Coach McCarter said.

This year the team faces opponents such as Cedar Park, Lake Travis and Vista ridge among other touch competitors.  Last year, the Lady Vipers were a game out from playoffs and they hope to make it all the way to the top this year.

“I think our biggest competition is Lake Travis.  They have a history of success, with four state championships,” Assistant Coach Driver said.

The team has their work cut out for them. Cedar Park, currently 8th in a poll used to rank high school volleyball teams based on records and how the schools are currently playing, is a to be reckoned with  Last year, district rival Lake Travis, who is ranked first in that poll, won the 2010 4A state championship. However, everyone is keeping their spirits high, staying hopeful for future wins.

“I think we all work together very well and I can see us doing big things this year,”  junior Emily Arterbury said.

Early in the season, the team boasts a winning record.  Together on the court, the Lady Vipers have more chemistry than ever, resulting in nothing but wins.  Having seniors on the team also levels the playing field out more, giving the team an advantage.

“I think we can have at least five district wins,” junior Emily Hanna said.

“I believe strongly that we are going to surprise some teams in this district,” Coach McCarter said. “We will be fighting for one of the top four spots so that we can move on to the playoffs.”

The Lady Vipers open district play tonight at Rouse.