75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    76 °
    76 °
79°/ 64°
83°/ 68°
77°/ 70°

Advice to Next Year’s Juniors

Dear current sophomores,

Congratulations, you’re (almost) halfway done with high school. Your years at the bottom half of the food chain are officially over, and the exciting life of being an upperclassman awaits. Junior year has some pretty awesome perks in store for you, but it can also be overwhelming. Between AP classes, SATs, and actually having to start planning to vast and scary unknown of your future, it’s sometimes nice to hear some hindsight from someone who has been there before. We’re here to help you. Here’s some advice from current juniors, and everything we wish someone had told us a year ago.

1. No one is joking when they tell you that junior year will be the hardest year of your life. You’ve surely heard all the horror stories already, and I hate you break it to you, but they’re all true. It’s so easy to disregard everyone’s warnings and anticipate another year of breezing by the same way you have the past two years. Don’t try that. You will fall behind fast. This is the year you actually have to start doing your homework and studying for tests (ew, I know).
  2. You’re going to have a lot more freedom than you’re used to, which is going to rock. You’ll probably start driving, and so will all of your friends, so take advantage of that (to a reasonable degree). Drive yourselves to a nice dinner every once in a while to catch up. It can be nice to spend a little time with your friends exerting your independence.
  3. With your newfound freedom also comes significant responsibilities. You’re a junior in high school; it’s time to gain a little self-reliance. When SAT registration rolls around, take initiative and register yourself, don’t wait for your mom or dad to do it. When you’re upset over your grades, take it into your own hands. Nothing looks worse than an e-mail from your parents about how devastating it is that their baby only earned an 89 this six weeks. Handle your business yourself. Your parents won’t be there in college, and it’s time to learn how to get by without them.
  4. As nice as it feels to declare that you don’t care what anyone thinks about you, it’s okay to admit that that probably isn’t true. Your reputation matters, and it is completely acceptable to recognize that. There’s a line between keeping your reputation in mind and conforming yourself to please other people. This is in no way a recommendation that you need to make everyone love you, because frankly that is not possible. Instead, make it especially challenging for people to find bad things to say about you. Keep your private business private (aka off Facebook and Twitter) and don’t do anything you wouldn’t want your mom to hear about.
  5. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You will make mistakes, in school and in life. If your life doesn’t feel like a cliché high school movie sometimes, you’re doing it wrong. Let yourself mess up, it’s part of becoming an adult. Keep your head up and move forward. Chances are, you’ll fail a test, forget your homework and have problems with your friends. The most important thing you can learn in high school is how to forgive yourself, and others. Give second chances sometimes. Don’t cry over spilt milk. (Not literally..you get the idea.)