78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    72 °
    72 °
    73 °
    73 °
    74 °
    77 °
    80 °
    83 °
    86 °
    88 °
    89 °
    91 °
    92 °
    90 °
    87 °
    84 °
    82 °
May 7
91°/ 72°
May 8
93°/ 71°
May 9
89°/ 72°

Support Cancer Research Friday Night At Relay For Life

Relay for Life takes place Friday night at Canyon Ridge Middle School from 6 PM to 6 AM. The relay is funded by the American Cancer Society and Vandegrift students, faculty and sponsors participate. The event features celebrations of survival, live music, activities to keep you awake and a walk-a-thon that lasts all night.

The fight against cancer is daunting for everyone involved. The disease affects over 11 million people in the United States alone and is one of the most terrifying diseases to deal with. But that’s not to say having fun while volunteering and donating to fight cancer isn’t possible.

“I think being positive, especially in light of adversity, is important to maintain sanity. After chemo, it was so hard to keep positive, yet I knew it had to be done,” chemistry teacher Mrs. Eustice said.

Mrs. Eustice has taught high school chemistry for twelve years, three of them at Vandegrift. Last year, Mrs. Eustice was diagnosed with cancer. She was able to push through her chemo and has continued to support and teach at Vandegrift. There is a Relay for Life team dedicated to her for her hard work and courage.

“I come in to her class in the morning a lot looking for help from chemistry and we always end up talking about other stuff, like cute stories from her childhood. I really support her through her fight against cancer,” Abby Flickinger said.

And Mrs. Eustice isn’t the only person affected by cancer. Senior Dylan Phelps was diagnosed with Leukemia July 13, 2005 and went through chemo and radiation. In May of 2007, the cancer came back and he went through a cord blood transplant where Duke University cross country runners supported Phelps through his surgeries. Now, Phelps is five years post-transplant and as healthy as ever.

“Relay for Life is about giving support to those going through cancer and cheering them on through the tough times,” Phelps said.

In these daily struggles with cancer, it can be hard to stay positive and hopeful. Relay for Life helps raise money to find the cure for cancer as well as an opportunity to smile through adversity. With a whopping thirty teams involved with Relay for Life, it’s hard not to get excited and hyped about the good that we are doing.

“Cancer is becoming so much more common and almost everyone has a relative who has dealt with cancer. If everyone helps to raise awareness, it will make a difference,” freshman Kelly Rosenblatt said.

Relay for Life has helped to raise millions of dollars every year to fight back against cancer. The night of the event, all teams are welcomed in an opening ceremony. Then the relay starts off with a Survivor Lap where survivors of cancer walk to celebrate their victory. Next, there is a Caregiver Walk that recognizes those who have cared for cancer patients. All of the relay teams are then able to walk together during the Opening Lap which leads into the Luminaria Ceremony.