• No School May 27

• AP Exams May 6-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Instagram @vhsstudentmedia

Club Spotlight: Drama Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: Drama Club

New logo that the Drama Club students have chosen

Alaina Galasso, Opinions Editor

The Vandergrift High School Drama Club was founded by the theatre program’s original director Darla Ray along with a board of officers. It supports the three theatrical main-stage performances each year as well as other organization’s productions. The Drama Club makes up Thespian Troupe 7613, the Prose and Poetry UIL Academic Team, other non-theatre related UIL academic teams, and also the UIL One-Act Play which competes annually in 4A competitions. Many honor and national-honor thespians are a part of this group.

“Drama Club is not only an extension of class, but also a place where theatre kids can gather to have fun outside of the classroom,” Theatre Director and Drama Club sponsor Mr. Howland said.

Currently, the Drama Club is researching and presenting multiple Broadway productions. This includes the upcoming winter musical South Pacific, the One Act Play The Importance of Being Earnest, productions the members will be seeing as  field trips (such as the first national tours of Ghost and Evita and the 10 year anniversary tour of Wicked in Austin) and other currently running Broadway shows. The members are expected to find information on show history, Broadway statistics, reception and awards, notable actors or tours, and then present to their fellow peers.

“Overall, this club and program has never been stronger,” Drama Club President Olson Kelly said. “It shows a very promising and bright future.”

The club has become more advanced from last year. The members are given information not only through email, but now also through Remind 101 and Facebook. Information such as upcoming shows in the Texas area, club meetings and audition information is passed along more efficiently. The members are expected to be fully involved in the club and the theatre program as a whole.

“The club really keeps me up to date on the theatre world in and out of school,” sophomore Laine Leitao said. “It keeps us informed and responsible.”

After the musical and field trips, the club will be focusing on supporting as well as competing in UIL events. The UIL Prose and Poetry and other teams will beginning practices in order to prepare for districts. The UIL One-Act Play this year will be The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, which has just been casted. The club also hopes to take more field trips and introduced new thoughts and ideas to how the club operates.

“Drama Club really brings us theatre kids together,” sophomore Isabela Spielman said.

About the Writer
Alaina Galasso, Editor in Chief
Alaina Galasso is a senior at Vandegrift and this is her third year on the newspaper staff. She competes in journalism for Academic UIL and was previously sixth in district for Feature Writing, fourth in district for News Writing, first in district and region for Editorial Writing and second in state for Editorial Writing. She also works as a professional theatre technician outside of school and is an active member of the school's theatre department. She is currently the department's head stage manager but has participated in lighting, run crew and sound since she was a freshman. For her work in theatre she is a 9 star International Thespian and current secretary of Thespian Troupe 7613. She has also been involved in Student Council, the HCEF Inventeam, National Honor Society, Vision Dance Company, AVID and Latin Club throughout high school. She hopes to attend a top university up north and plans on majoring in Theatre Design, Production, and Management with a minor in Creative Writing.