Theater performs play Rumors

Ashley Chase, Editor in Chief

The Theater Department presented the play Rumors by Neil Simon this past weekend from Thursday to Sunday.

“I have wanted to do this show for a while and it is just really funny- the running back and forth, the playing things off, the farcical nature of it,” theater teacher Nikki Guckian said. “I love Neil Simon and I’ve been wanting to do it for a long time and haven’t had the opportunity to do it and now’s my opportunity.”

Rumors tells the story of a couple who, when arriving at a house for a 10th anniversary party and finding the entire staff gone, the wife missing, and the host having shot himself in the earlobe, attempt to cover up what has happened from the police.

“The rumors are flying- no one knows how he got shot, no one knows what happened, hence the name of the play, Rumors,” Guckian said.

The play is a farce comedy, meaning that it is a comedy derived from funny and improbable situations.

“I love this play so much because it’s just so different,” senior Bradford Smitherman, who plays Lenny, said. “It’s a farce comedy and that means it’s something that actually couldn’t happen in real life and so it’s fun being so big with everything and so exaggerated.”

The play began after school rehearsals Aug. 29. The rehearsals went until 6 p.m., and dress rehearsals that started two weeks before the show went until 7 p.m.

“I didn’t do a whole lot of theater over the summer so getting back on stage and feeling the gratification from the audience after a lot of hard work was the best part for me,” sophomore Francis Kim, who plays Glenn, said.

The play’s cast is relatively small, being comprised of 10 members, 5 of them boys and 5 of them girls.

“We already were pretty close,” Kim said. “There were a couple new people who were able to come in and be a part of the group but we’re all super close now more than ever because we put in so much work together.”

Smitherman says that the cast bonded even more through the rehearsal and performance of the show.

“I really like the cast,” Smitherman said. “I feel like since all of us have known each other for a long time, like a couple years now, I think it just helps on stage because it just builds those relationships even more.”