Students sing at Pop Unplugged

Junior Isabel Moring performs at Pop Unplugged.

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

Students performed at Pop Unplugged, a show where students had the opportunity to sing a song of their choice, last Thursday. The show offered a coffee shop vibe, complete with a coffee station and donuts from Big Kahuna Donuts. The show included approximately 17 musical acts.

“Everyone is so talented,” sophomore Madeline Smyser said. “It’s so great to hear everyone just playing for themselves and showing off something that they’ve been working so hard on.”

Auditions for Unplugged were held the week before the show after school in the choir room. Auditions were open to all students and not limited to students in the choir program.

“Everybody came in with their audition ready to perform that day,” choir director Michael Feris said. “It was very polished performances.”

Some students that aren’t in choir said they felt nervous before their audition.

“Me and my sister prepared about one or two days in advance,” sophomore Jenna Simons said. “The auditions were really quick and a little nerve-racking just because I’ve never sang in front of people before, much less Mr. Feris.”

Unlike other shows, students had to sing their songs acoustically, meaning they had to accompany themselves. Some performers had a friend play the guitar or piano for them while they sang, others played for themselves while singing.

During the show, the audience clapped along to singers and laughed at funny moments. Jenna’s sister, senior Lauryn Simons, asked the audience to clap along to the song “You and I” by Ingrid Michaelson.

“I loved when everyone clapped along to our song,” Jenna Simons said. “I love it when the audience gets involved.”

Feris said that the students made their performances unique.

“I love when students do something unexpected,” Feris said. “I think the last performance where we had percussion, a bass, and an amazing saxophone solo. All of those things combined were really fantastic.”

Smyser came to watch her friends at the show, but she also came to watch her cousins, Lauryn and Jenna Simons.

“I was so happy,” Smyser said. “I have heard them sing all the time because they’re family and it was awesome to see them get up there and perform for everyone.”