An aspiring journalist’s guide to college acceptance

Alaina Malone, Staff Reporter

College and career readiness counselor, Mrs. Spradling.
Guidance counselor, Ms. Quick.

When a person chooses to pursue journalism as their major in college, they don’t realize that it’s fairly uncommon. It still takes hard work, decent grades, and dedication, just like it would for people thinking about majoring in a STEM or business major . But there are helpful things students can do  when applying to a liberal arts program that may serve as a catalyst that reassures acceptance into a prestigious writing school.

“Picking a major that doesn’t have that many people in it can ensure you’re making it into your school of choice,” counselor Lori Quick said. “But it always depends on the year and how many people are applying.”

Liberal arts is an uncommon  major, a career interest that stands out on a resume when applying to a university or college. Acceptance officers look for majors that are rare so that they can fill in the spots for people studying specific topics and increase diversity at their school. Officers pay attention to people who show passion and creativity to express their major. They want kids who love what they do and are proud of it by dedicating their time to becoming better.

“What has been successful for students,” college and career readiness counselor Sarah Spradling said. “is when they’re pursuing stuff that they’re passionate about, whether those are fun hobbies, painting a picture of how they’re using their time and what qualities they’re bringing to a campus.”

Someone who’s interested in journalism could benefit from keeping a journal, writing about anything and everything. This keeps an organized profile of a person’s writing and is a unique way to display one’s talent they wish to major in. Keeping a blog, joining the school newspaper and yearbook also are a big help.

“A large help for some students who end up being accepted that aren’t expected to is when they are doing things outside of school that may not even be related to their major, but offer this diversity schools look for,” Spradling said

Whatever you do outside of school does not have to be a formal organization or connected with your high school; it can be a sports team, a writing workshop, a community art club, etc. Having any type of portfolio is relevant to a good school, showing various hobbies and things that you’re doing outside of school besides studying all the time.

“Of course, having high scores on state exams and AP tests is still relevant,” Quick said. “Essays and community service also contribute to acceptance often times.”

Doing your part in your community and showing a passion for their neighborhood is just as important when looking for an extra push to jump to the top of the acceptance list for schools. A way to do this could be getting a job or volunteering. Having good grades in courses you take and choosing a level of rigor in classes that you are comfortable with can keep one from overwhelming themselves.

“If you’re passionate about journalism,” Quick said. “Make good grades, stick out in your community, and show why you want to study what you want to, you have a better chance of getting into your school of choice.”