Dress Code Opinion 1

Sophia Alaniz, Web Editor

Dress code has been executed since middle school; not in the form a uniform but rather as an expectation of modesty. Girls with half of their breasts hanging out of their shirts and guys who have a studded belt that could puncture someone’s skin are obviously not the best outfit choices for a school environment. Uniforms in general are not the worst things, organizations or clubs have uniforms for competition and events, but a school uniform is a whole different ball game. A school uniform is something that should not be in place at our school because uniforms do not solve problems.

If Vandegrift did decide to put a uniform in place it would restrict creative freedom, put financial stress on families and there would still be peer pressure, just not based on the clothes.

Electives, clubs and organizations are all ways that students can show the freedom of who they are in high school, especially depending on which outlets you choose. People can also show their creative side through their clothing. Implicating a uniform could take away what little freedom in the school we have.

Uniforms are not cheap either, ranging from $200-$500, it can put some financial stress on parents. Uniforms are also not everyday attire. You wouldn’t wear your uniform on the weekends, and you would still have your casual clothes, evening attire and formal wear. Buying all these extra clothes along with the uniforms for each year can add up.

There is a theory that uniforms would make everyone feel equal, but contrary to popular belief students would still differentiate from each other, but just in different aspects of the person. People can have different jewelry, bags, cars, shoes, even body image. It’s in the human nature to judge and uniforms won’t change that.

Uniforms are understandable in some cases, but for a public school, especially Vandegrift, they are not first priority.Students should be more focused on academic success instead of what a person is wearing.

As much as people are opposed to having uniforms, a good probable solution could be to have the students, parents and school board vote on whatever they prefer. If the school did overrule uniforms a good way to make the opposing party happy is by making sure the dress code is actually acknowledged by students and staff.

Uniforms are understandable in some cases, but for a public school, especially Vandegrift, they are not first priority.

— Sophia Alaniz