Freshman, Paige Crossman soars in soccer

Lauren Conroy, Staff Writer

Paige Crossman is a freshman. At the age of 15, she already has a potential future in soccer ahead of her. Crossman’s soccer career began when she was 3. Like many kids, she began on the local neighborhood team. But unlike many kids, her career continued past this and turned into a serious passion.

“My favorite part about being a soccer player is the great friends I have gotten out of it. Most of my closest friends I have met through my many years of soccer,” Crossman said.

Outside of school, she plays for the Lonestar Soccer Club. She is in the ECNL (Elite Clubs National League) team for her age group. For those unaware of soccer jargon, this means that she plays on the best and most competitive teams for her age. At school, she plays on the award-winning Vandegrift girls JV team; an impressive feat for a freshman.

“My club team practices 3 times a week during the season and is very competitive. We travel a lot for games and tournaments. Recently, we’ve traveled as a team to Florida, Oklahoma, Dallas and Kansas.  We are currently in fourth place in the Texas ECNL bracket and nationally ranked.”

Crossman hopes to eventually continue her career into college, like many Vandegrift soccer girls before her.

“I want to get better and hopefully make a future out of this. I would love to play college soccer at a Division 1 school. Some of the ones I’ve been looking at include Texas A&M, TCU, Arkansas and Baylor. They’re very good schools in both soccer and academics,” said Crossman.

Crossman’s coach, Coach Hardy, is looking forward to what she will bring to this year’s team.

“She adds a high level of skill and knowledge of the game to the JV squad. Paige has a bright future with Lady Viper Soccer. She is a talented outside mid and has the ability to beat players one on one on the sideline and fishing crosses,” Hardy said.

Her drive and stamina are very inspiring to anyone hoping to follow the same path that she has with her sport. If she were to give anyone in the same shoes as her advice, it would be, “to manage your time wisely with school and sports. The academic side of your life is just important as the athletic.”