StuCo hosts Homecoming dance

Emma-Rose Floyd, News Editor

After everyone had braved the rain to cheer on the varsity football team and the court was announced, the annual homecoming concert and dance was held in the courtyard last Friday.
“Homecoming this year was such a collaborative experience,” student council treasurer, Ariana Engles said. “I absolutely loved my student council executive officers and everyone was so helpful.”
The music was provided by senior Jake Nanaz, who was DJ 5 star for the event. Nanaz played popular songs heard frequently on the radio, and had students dancing and jumping to the beat all night. There were food trailers, decked out with fried Oreos, burritos, and Chicken Express. Free cotton candy was a big pull for students, as well.
“The food trucks and the free cotton candy were really cool, I also liked how there were the [downtown murals], it made you feel like you were actually in downtown Austin,” junior Aeysha Kahley said.
Painted street signs of roads downtown were placed around the courtyard, adding to the ambiance of the Downtown Austin theme. There were back drops of iconic murals, such as the ‘I Love You So Much’ wall and the ‘Hi, How Are You’ wall that are also located downtown, created by student council. Students were encouraged to use the hashtag ‘VCLhoco’ on Instagram as a part of the community feel of the event.
“It was fun, albeit a little stressful to plan,” Engles said. “Hopefully people enjoyed it.”