Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Larson

Kelly Honts, Web Editor

1. Please write a little bit about your life outside of school:

I live in Steiner Ranch with my hubby of 28 years, my daughter (Texas State graduate), my son (Concordia student) and my furry daughter, Pomeranian, Grayce!  In my spare time, I enjoy gardening, decorating, clothes shopping, and reading.

2. What made you want to teach Math?

I am such a Math Geek!  I have loved math my entire life!  No kidding!  I feel so blessed to be able to teach a subject that I feel so passionate about!

3. What is your favorite part about being a teacher at Vandegrift?

Wow, where do I start?  To sum it up (no pun intended) our students and faculty are the absolute BEST!   I mean, how can you not love being a part of the math department!?! They are amazing people to work with!  My extended family. I am so fortunate to live in the community that I teach.  That way I can run into my students at HEB or walking my dog wearing my Vandegrift sweats and NO makeup!  The cool thing is they still recognize, respect, AND acknowledge me!  Ha! Ha! Go Vipers!

4. What should students expect for the year?

I seek to have a friendly, safe, and non-threatening learning environment for my students.

5. What is one fun fact about yourself?  

I have a hidden talent of being able to whistle super loud.  The students think that it is pretty cool that sweet, demur, Mrs. Larson can whistle that way.  Of course, this is after they get over the initial shock of me doing it in class!   It’s a great attention getter!