Painting the way: Vandegrift teachers promote the arts for creativity month

Iman Prasla

Vandegrift ceramics students continue to work on their art projects.

Seiya Mutreja, Editor

For centuries, people have sponsored and created art. From Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare to The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh, the creative arts have left a significant mark on history. Thus, to note the importance of creativity, January was marked as International Creativity Month. Keeping with this, Jeffery Bent, a Ceramics and Sculpture teacher at Vandegrift, and Jon Alonso, a Theater arts and Theater tech teacher, share their views on teaching creative arts.

I’ve always loved art,” Bent said. “Creating art has brought me a lot of joy, and so has seeing what others create.”

Similar to Bent, Alonso was drawn to the arts by an intrigue in seeing what others can create. 

“My interest in theatrical production and the power of storytelling got me interested in teaching theater,” Alonso said. “Allowing students to express themselves through their acting or even deciding on what or how to build things in Tech is a way [for them to be] creative.”

Both teachers note the importance of encouraging creativity in their classrooms. Bent believes that promoting open-mindedness is the best way to do so.

I try to encourage students to try and experiment with new ways of doing things and thinking about things,” Bent said. “Getting outside our comfort zones can lead to big creative leaps. Mistakes are okay and lead to more growth!”

According to a study by the National Library of Medicine, there has been a high positive correlation seen between taking classes that promote creativity and IQ. Alonso firmly believes that creativity is becoming more important in our ever changing world.

“The world is constantly changing and we must adapt,” Alonso said. “Creativity is a way of  learning how to grow along with change.”

Both Alonso and Bent note the importance of creativity in growth, emphasizing its importance in helping students reach their potential.

When young artists start out, especially around high school age, students have visions of what they want to create,” Bent said. “But, oftentimes they are not able to pull off what they see in their heads, creating a lot of frustration and feelings of self-consciousness. It’s important to remember that, as with anything, it takes time to improve. The important part is doing it, getting those ideas out, even if the execution is not perfect.”

While Bent emphasizes the importance of creativity for individual growth and improvement, Alonso sees its importance in building relationships and collaboration skills.

“It’s hard to choose a favorite memory,” Alonso said. “Every scene or show that we are able to do is a great memory because [I’m] collaborating with my students.”

The exploration of imagination through the pursuit of creative endeavors is Alonso’s favorite part of being a teacher. Both Alonso and Bent are huge proponents of nurturing creativity in their students.

To me, creativity is the ability to draw from your perceptions, knowledge and experiences to make something truly new in the world,” Bent said. “Creativity is looking at the world from your unique angle and sharing what you see.”