‘Maniac’ for Conan Gray

Concert draws in Vandegrift fans

Conan Gray performing his song “Lookalike” from his EP “Sunset Season”

Arabella Villarroel

Arabella Villarroel, Staff Reporter

Submitted by Carmen Gouws

Conan Gray is an American singer and songwriter, who had his start making videos on YouTube. In 2018, he signed a contract with Republic Records, and following that, he released his debut EP “Sunset Season.” Gray came to Austin as part of his world tour, and performed at the Moody Theater on Wednesday, Mar. 2 at 8 p.m.

“I arrived at 5 p.m., and I waited in line with my friends until they let us in,” freshman Carmen Gouws said. “Then we got merch and took pictures together.”

Gray had Canadian artist Bülow as his opener. She performed some of her most popular songs, like “You & Jennifer” and “Own Me.” She even sang some unreleased songs, performing them for the very first time.

Bülow was actually really fun and entertaining and I like her style of music,” sophomore Bella Porter said. “I think she was a good opener because she also interacted with the audience and gave back stories to her songs. I even started listening to some of her songs.” 

The concert went until around 10 p.m. And afterwards some fans were able to meet him, take pictures, get autographs when he was heading back to his bus. 

“The concert was so much fun, and I loved seeing Conan Gray,” Gouws said. “My favorite part was when he came over to the side of the stage that I was closest to, and we made eye contact and sang together.” 

Submitted by Bella Porter

Gray sang some of his most popular songs, such as “Heather,” “Maniac,” “Jigsaw,” and “Telepath,” but sang less popular songs as well. Such as “Checkmate,” “Affluenza,” and “Fight or Flight.”

“I would have to say ‘Astronomy’ was my favorite because that song never fails to make me cry my eyes out,” Porter said. “There was a bedroom set up on stage and he was sitting on the bed with his guitar singing. It was a perfect portrayal of him and his music because it all started with him writing songs in his bedroom with his guitar.”

Carmen and her friends after the concert ended in front of the stage

Austin, Texas was the second stop on his world tour. He began in Dallas, and will be ending off in London.

“I will never forget when he told us the backstory of his song ‘The Story,’” Gouws said. “He started crying whilst singing it and the whole crowd started cheering him on.”

As the venue was pretty small, many fans were able to get super close. At one point he put on the pink cowboy hat of someone from the audience. 

“Conan jumped down from the stage and walked back and forth just in front where the crowd was,” Gouws said. “As many others did, I reached my hand over and I ended up touching his hair; it was so soft”

Conan even took the time to talk to his fans while on stage. Constantly checking in to make sure fans were hydrating and overall just connecting with everyone. Even taking the time to get the entire venue to sing “Happy Birthday” to a fan.

“Overall, this concert was magical,” Porter said. “I have been a fan of Conan for what feels like a lifetime and have been wanting to go to one of his concerts. Conan’s music has helped me through many hard times, so I am grateful I was able to experience this. It was the best day of my life, and I will never forget it.”