• No School May 27

• AP Exams May 6-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Instagram @vhsstudentmedia

6 students to compete at state fishing tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshmen Christian Dyke and Cole Chartier fished at the FAN tournament at Lake LBJ in April and will compete at state May 31.

David Dyke

David Dyke

David Dyke

Natalie Brink, News Editor

The boat bobs as waves gently beat its side. The glare from the sun flashes on the lake’s surface, but the boys’ concentration is not broken. The only thing that stands between them and state is a few fish.

Six students will represent the school fishing team at Lake Conroe at the state contest May 31. President Wade Faist, who made it to state, started fishing club this year, and this will be the first time the club heads to state.

“It was awesome [to make it to state],” Faist said. “The club started doing fishing tournaments against other high schools because we thought it’d be fun to try to compete and go to state. We’re going to get bigger as we go, and hopefully we’ll get better.”

Freshman Christian Dyke is preparing for state by purchasing new lures from Bass Pro Shops. He qualified for state at the Lake LBJ Faith Anglers Network  fishing tournament and said his favorite part about tournament fishing is the uncertainty of winning.

“You never know what you are going to get, one day they could be biting, the next day they aren’t,” Dyke said. “I joined the fishing club because I have always enjoyed fishing since I was a little kid, and it’s one of my favorite things to do. When I found out we had a fishing team, I was surprised and happy that I could fish for the school.”

It was awesome [to make it to state]. The club started doing fishing tournaments against other high schools because we thought it’d be fun to try to compete and go to state. We’re going to get bigger as we go, and hopefully we’ll get better.”

— Wade Faist

Freshman Cole Chartier also fished at the FAN tournament. The tournament is structured so that every fisher gets five catches, and those with the five biggest fish win.

“The FAN tournament is a tournament where a whole bunch of young fishermen are going out and having fun with their friends,” Chartier said. “I joined fishing club because I’ve always really liked fishing and just have a fun time fishing.”

Dyke first began fishing when he was little. His grandmother, who has a passion for fishing, taught him how to fly fish as well as how to fish with a worm and a bobber.

“From there I learned how to fish with lures with the help of my friends,” Dyke said. “Fishing has always been a calming thing for me to enjoy and to get out of the house, go outside on the lake and just have fun catching fish or not.”

About the Writer
Natalie Brink, News Editor
Natalie Brink is a junior at Vandegrift and this is her second year on the newspaper staff. In her free time, she reads as much as she can and crusades against oxford commas. This year she hopes to learn more about the Vandegrift community.