Band wins regional champion at Bands of America

Donovan Dudley photo

Jennifer Walker, Editor-in-Chief

Band and Vision competed at the regional Bands of America competition on Saturday. They won Outstanding General Effect, Outstanding Visual and Class 4A Champion, sending them to Super Regionals in San Antonio next month.

“I felt like the performance Saturday was a very good representation of the work we have put in so far this season,” sophomore Joe Weatherby said. “From what I heard from listening to other people’s conversations it was very well done also.”

Band pushed themselves to learn all of their parts for BOA last week. They had to rehearse 12 pages of music during one rehearsal.

“Rehearsals are the best and worst part of band,” Weatherby said. “It just plain sucks. However, when you’re out there suffering with your friends and you know they are going through the same thing as you are, you form bonds unlike any other organization at this school with the people around you.”

This year band stepped up their show by incorporating the chamber choir.

“The choir is simply incredible,” Weatherby said. “I am simply blown away by how much the choir adds to the ensemble as a whole.”

Band and Vision were ecstatic when they found out they advanced to Super Regionals.

“A lot of people were crying,” sophomore Victoria Chavez said. “Everyone was so excited. Everyone was jumping up and down like ‘We won!’”

This is a record breaking year for band. Last year was only the first year they advanced at Bands of America.

“This is only the second time in school history for the band to win a BOA Regional,” band director Mike Howard said. “The students have worked very hard and I’m so happy that they were rewarded for it.”