Applying for PALS; the inside scoop

Madison Smith, Staff Writer

With the end of the school year approaching a new generation of PALS are currently going through a rather lengthy application process in order to ensure the most fit group of students for the job. PALS stands for Peer Assistance, Leadership and Service. The organization is dedicated to bettering our school as well as being a role model for young kids in elementary and middle school. Here is an inside look at the application process.

The application as a whole consists of three parts. Part one is simple, attendance. If you are selected to be a PAL it is imperative to have the time and dedication to show up. This may seem rather obvious, but students who often skip do not reflect well in other areas of school. PALS are required to keep up with service opportunities throughout the year so having students accountable to participate is key.

Part two is the written application consisting of 10 questions. It asks a range of question that help the graders to try and uncover the true character of the applicant. There is no secret formula to get a good score on this section, however well written and detailed responses are well received. The main thing to remember is to always be yourself and answer the questions as honest as possible.

The last part of the PALS application process is a formal interview with current PALS. The applicants are randomly assigned two PALS to be interviewed by. This part of the process helps to uncover how the students interact with people and to get a feel for the personality of the applicants. Once again, there is no secret formula other than to just be yourself. Describing the kind of person you are and opening up to the PALS conducting the interview is the most vital role.

With limited spots available the PALS interview and selection process is definitely taken very seriously. To all those applying, be yourself and good luck.

New PALS will be announced on Friday, April 10th via Mrs. Gallaghers website.