International students carve pumpkins for the first time

Derya+Yilmaz+and+Yuro+Sato+carve+a+pumpkin+during+the+ESL+cultural+celebration.+

Lela Hammons

Derya Yilmaz and Yuro Sato carve a pumpkin during the ESL cultural celebration.

Stephen King, Writer

Mima Nazarene’s ESL class carved pumpkins last Friday and made Jack ‘o Lanterns as a Halloween event. Members of the class are from around the world and this was the first time many of them had carved a pumpkin. Members of the class are from around the world and this was the first time many of them had a carved pumpkin.

“I call this cultural celebration because this part of the culture over here and it is celebrated really big over here so the kids need to know that,” ESL teacher Mrs. Nazarene said.

This was the fifth time the ESL class has hosted a Halloween celebration that included a pumpkin carving contest and a mummy wrap. The celebration day also had special foreign food brought in by the students and their parents. Parents stayed for the event and the students invited their teachers to stop by the room for lunch.

“It was a really good time,” Counselor Jennifer Fisher said. “Just meeting the parents and seeing the students and enjoying the yummy food, it was awesome.”

The Jack ‘o Lantern made by Melina, an ELS student from Turkey, was voted the most creative pumpkin.

“I carved a face in mine,” junior Melina Emiglou said, “I was happy that I won something.”

The students took home their Jack ‘o Lanterns to keep for Halloween or they gave them to the school janitors to take home.