Kieran’s Korner: Stuck in Love

Kieran Daly, Entertainment Editor

Easily one of the best films I have found on Netflix, the romantic comedy Stuck in Love follows an acclaimed writer (Greg Kinnear), his ex-wife (Jennifer Connelly), and their teenaged children (Lily Collins and Nat Wolff) as they come to terms with the complexities of love in all its forms over the course of one eventful year.

I came across this movie by 100 percent chance, I was flipping through Netflix one Friday night around winter break and came across it, and since that moment I have watched it a total of about six times. The story to film is as stated above; it follows a dysfunctional family from one Thanksgiving to the next year’s one.

The cast is outstanding, Greg Kinnear plays Bill, a writer who is struggling with his divorce and also keeping a professional writing career. Jennifer Connelly plays Erica, Bill’s ex-wife, who is struggling with trying to recover a nonexistent relationship with her daughter. Lily Collins plays the oldest child in the dysfunctional family, whose writing career is finally taking off, but who also fears falling in love. And Nat Wolff plays the younger child who is madly in love with a high school crush, but at the same time is trying to get recognized as a writer. The movie also stars Kristen Bell, Logan Lerman, Liana Liberato and Patrick Schwarzenegger.

I loved every aspect of the film, from its witty humor to its true portrayal of love. The soundtrack to the film also rocks, wisely using “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, both at the beginning and the end of the film. I highly recommend this film for anyone searching Netflix for a funny flick or a romantic comedy, be warned though, it is rated R for some drug use and some other inappropriate content. It is easily one of my favorite films.