58 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
April 23
75°/ 55°
Partly Cloudy
April 24
80°/ 62°
Patchy rain nearby
April 25
81°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby

Sam Riggs and The Night People Play Homecoming Concert

Sam RiggsThe roar of the crowd, the strum of guitars, the wild energy that engulfs the stage and the life of a band; all are familiar concepts surrounding famous singers. What is generally forgotten, or ignored, is the sudden silence after the show, the long drives on seemingly endless tours, the hard work to actually book a show, and the money struggles that make or break bands.

Sam Riggs experiences these challenges every day, and will continue to do so as long as he continues to play. Sam Riggs and the Night People is a country band that will be performing at the VHS homecoming concert tonight. Shortly thereafter, he will release his new album on Oct. 29. A rising star, Riggs embraced the challenges of a band, trying, and not always succeeding, to keep everything together, while also fulfilling his life and inspiring others.

“Some people want this so bad, that they would die for it,” Riggs said. “I’m one of those people. If you’re not willing to starve in a cold, dark alley, don’t even think about it.”

Determined to succeed, Riggs moved from Florida to Austin on Aug. 4, 2007, looking for more originality in his music. He certainly found it, adjusting his music to appeal to a different audience, along with acquiring a renewed musical discipline. He features this in his new album, “Outrun the Sun.”

“It’s not luck, it’s hard work and perseverance,” Riggs said. “I don’t want to have a life of excessiveness, but a life that has no boundaries.”

Sam Riggs and the Night People all share a similar passion for life and music, but this doesn’t always result in smooth sailing. In fact, two members recently quit. Despite this, Riggs carries on, replacing the musicians, while also recognizing why they left and respecting their decisions.

“It’s hard to be an energetic beacon on stage and come down into silence,” Riggs said. “It’s just emotional whiplash.”

Riggs constant flow of support, from both fans and family, has continued his growing music career. That very same fan base voted his recent hit, “When the Lights Go Out, to the number one spot on CMT’s Pure 12-Pack Countdown.

“I was shocked and grateful,” Riggs said. “The only way I can give back to that is to try and write better songs and great albums.”

Riggs may make more fans when he plays at homecoming. He’s never played at a high school before, but he is excited at the prospect. He will be playing new songs from his upcoming album.

“I wanted to capture a hard-edged truth in my music,” Riggs said. “What’s important to me is that the youth of America be informed enough to make their own decisions.”