Parents Guide To Teen Abbrevs

Avery Brillante, Staff Writer

These days, we’re totes starting to talk in a supes different way. Over the past few years, a new sort of language has been emerging among teens. Along with the rise of technology, kids are finding many ways to make communicating and texting easier using abbrevs. Not only is it supposed to be something that requires less effort, but it also adds an element of style to the way they speak. Some people may find it ridic, but it’s defs something that will continue being used. Instead of the traditional and boring words such as “super” or “awkward” people are trying to make things a little bit more interesting. Unfortunately for parents, it’s becoming harder for them to understand how teens communicate. These new abbreviations are making it more complicated to understand what we’re all talking about, so this is a guide that will probs shed a little light on the world of teenage communication.

Abbreviation                                         Meaning 

Defs                                                       Definitely

Probs                                                     Probably

Maybs                                                    Maybe

Ridic                                                      Ridiculous

Obvs                                                      Obviously

Jelly                                                       Jealous

Totes                                                      Totally

Supes                                                     Super

Awk                                                       Awkward

Abbrevs (pronounced uh-breev-s)       Abbreviations

A decent amount of teenagers find these abbrevs ridic. Some prefer a more traditional and grammatically correct way of speaking.

“I hate those words. They really just seem pointless to use,” sophomore Romina Montellano said.

Another reason teens feel the need to shorten their words is the growing popularity of Twitter. Because of the 140 character limit, we need all the extra space we can get to express the drama of our everyday lives. And let’s be honest, there’s plenty of that. Using abbreviated words on Twitter eventually bled into everyday life, and became a socially accepted way of speaking.

Some of the common phrases for these abbreviations include “totes awk,” which is used to describe a really awkward situation, or “totes jelly,” which tells someone that you’re pretty jealous. If there was one word used the most, it would probably be totes, because it’s easily placed before almost any other abbreviation.

An example sentence would be something like, “it’s totes awk when you’re trying to talk to someone, and they obvs don’t understand what you’re saying. It gets supes annoying.”

Although this “language” may seem alien to adults, it’s common among the kids of our generation. It’d defs be a lot easier if parents made an effort to understand what in the world we were talking about, too. It’s obvs that this won’t be going away anytime soon. This guide lists most of the abbreviations that teens use and will definitely expand parent’s understanding into our world.