Hitting the mark

JROTC student advances to nationals in marksmanship

Submitted Photo

Sophomore Alexander Giamona is a Navy JROTC student advancing to nationals for marksmanship.

Dayna Ung, Staff Reporter

He fired at the target multiple times and watched as he hit the mark with almost perfect precision each time. Despite the nerves creeping throughout his body, he controlled his breathing, held his hand steady and continued to shoot.

Sophomore Alexander Giamona is a Navy JROTC student who competed and placed 10th in the state for marksmanship–a sport that requires skilled accuracy. Giamona is advancing to nationals on February 10, and having prepared for about two years, Giamona said he continues to diligently improve his ability almost every day.

“It’s definitely not easy, and marching and stuff is very physically demanding,” Giamona said. “We train every other day by working out and just shooting constantly.”

Although the JROTC program takes hours of discipline, Giamona said it is worth it and that it is extremely gratifying to see how far he has come from as early as last year. Spending his B Days at Vista Ridge, he has worked to overcome a previous setback and now celebrates his feat.

“I’m so excited because last year I would have been on a Varsity level, but because of COVID I wasn’t able to,” Giamona said. “And top ten in the state is something I’m extremely proud of.”

Giamona looks up to his mom and dad for always driving him to practices and supporting him in all his meets and competitions. And although Giamona is in some way following in his father’s footsteps, he has taken the initiative to blaze a new trail.

“Most of my grandparents, uncles and my dad went into the Army in the military,” Giamona said. “And I thought it would be fun just to join something else that none of my family members had been in: the Navy.”

Giamona said he hopes to either earn a scholarship and attend a prestigious naval college or enlist in the personnel industry and go through college during active duty. He said his ambition is driven by key qualities that make him fit for the Navy, but he continuously strives to better his capabilities.

“I’m a good co leader and although I don’t really work well with leading people on my own, I’m very honest,” Giamona said. “JROTC is also physically challenging and one of the things I’m working on right now is improving my rank.”

Aside from his personal goals, dreams and ambitions, Giamona said he appreciates the community between the cadets in the JROTC program. He said his close connection with his peers has brought lasting friendships.

“JROTC is truly fun,” Giamona said. “We have around 200 cadets in our staff and we’re all friends. Everybody there is basically family and no one judges you.”