Q&A with psychology teacher Mr. Lindsay

Cristina Orozco

Mr. Lindsay teaches his 4th period class on Dec. 10. They just started a new unit.

Arabella Villarroel, Staff Reporter

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: This is my 18th year teaching. I have worked for LISD the whole time. I first taught at CPHS for 6 years, and then moved to VHS, where I have been ever since.

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching?

A: I am a big supporter of the “lifelong learner” approach to living, and teaching is a great field to nurture that perspective. Everyday, I learn something new from this profession. Regularly, I learn material related to my subject while preparing lessons, or through conversations with students, but there are moments when I learn something slightly more consequential about myself. Since learning is an innate component of school and education, teaching gives me the perfect opportunity to follow through with my interests and to discover some new ones along the way.

Q: What is something that has been a struggle?

A: The biggest struggle has been time management and the balancing of my professional self with my personal life. For years, I would work very late up here at the high school, come in on weekends, work over breaks, etc. I could not figure out how to do a good job without putting all of my time into my lessons. I felt proud of my efforts, but I missed a lot of opportunities because I could not tear myself away from work. Now, I think that I have a more balanced life because my priorities have shifted. I still want to be successful as a teacher, but I understand that there is a world outside of VHS.

Q: What has kept you teaching, especially here at Vandegrift for so long?

A: I truly enjoy the environment of Vandegrift HS. I enjoy the people that I work with. I respect them for the individual ways that they help our students. Also, I appreciate the competitiveness of the school. I am a type A individual, so I connect with the mantra of “Second to None”. Lastly, I enjoy my students. It is nice to interact with young people that are intelligent, driven, and fairly funny, on most days.

Q: Why did you choose to teach psychology?

A: To get the AP US History teaching position at VHS, I needed to be willing to teach AP Psychology. I realized quickly that I loved teaching Psychology, and worked over the years to add more Psychology classes. Sometimes, it is strange how your passions find you.

Q: Are there any life lessons that you have learned from teaching?

A: I have learned to always plan ahead. There will always be something that throws a wrench into your plans, so be sure to have a back-up, just in case.

Q: Is there anything you hope your students take away from your class? 

A:  I hope that my students leave my class knowing more about themselves and possessing an understanding of what makes people tick. There are so many times in my life when I was able to use my subject to make a difference in a situation. I would like to think that my class helps students be more objective, and less inclined to impulsive reactions that do not help them or the situation. I suppose that time will tell.