Juniors, seniors participate in annual Powder Puff game

Players run for the ball. Powder Puff is played at schools across North America.
Jojo Phillips

On Thursday, May 18, the annual Powder Puff game took place at Monroe stadium. Led by senior Liberty Denson, the game brings female students from various clubs and organizations together to participate in a game of touch football coached by male football players. 

“It allows [participants] to meet people who they wouldn’t usually come across every day,” Denson said. “And, you see a different side of working together and collaboration. Rather than just in the classroom, you [also] get to see it on the field.”

Although Powder Puff is largely known for its game aspect, participants found that benefits largely superseded just the playing. Bringing together organizations like cheerleading and Student Council acts as a bridge between students with varying interests.

“I think [my favorite part is] kind of the spirit of all of it,” junior and Powder Puff coach Sebastion Kveton said. “Everyone’s super competitive about it. They’re not just kind of taking it as a joke. Everyone wants to win. Everyone wants to be out there and get better.”

With 20-30 participants, and the pitting of juniors and seniors against each other in different teams, there was plenty of competitive spirit to go around. However, the senior team ultimately won.

“I chose to participate to just get closer with the girls in my grade and really have an opportunity to participate in something with [a] group of people,” junior Maya Bustami said. “It’s just really fun.”

The title Powder Puff, dubbed by the Madison Daily Ledger, is derived from girls applying fresh powder during a traditional halftime. Now, however, the game acts as a sort of uniting force within the school and other schools around North America.

“It’s really a tradition,” Bustami said. “It’s been going on for a while.”

According to Bustami, other schools in the area like Dripping Springs and Westwood, have begun to play inter-school Powder Puff games. Vandegrift, however, has continued to use Powder Puff largely as a uniting force for the school. 

“[Powder Puff] is a different activity that everyone can do with the girls involved,” Kveton said. “And it was fun to coach., I had a blast with it.”

Many of the girls participating in Powder Puff had either limited or no experience with football. Football players selected to coach largely have to work from the ground up to prepare their team.

“It’s way more fun than I thought it would be,” Bustami said. “I didn’t know anything about football, but  it’s a fun experience [that] I wouldn’t have expected myself to like.”