Coming Home From States

Boys Golf Team places 7th in States (Golf Booster Club)

Karissa Gonzales, Staff Reporter

The Boys Golf team traveled to Georgetown, Texas to Legacy Hills Golf Course to compete in the 2022 State Tournament against 12 other Texas high school teams. They placed 7th out of 12. 

“Although the result was not where we wanted, factoring in the fact that we had two freshmen and three first time state tournament competitors, I’m still proud of all that we accomplished this year,” Coach Benjamin Lee said.

Freshman Jake Mayer was excited for the opportunity to qualify for states. This was his first state competition in his high school career. 

“Knowing of the immense opportunity that was here for me, I tried to seize the moment and make the most of it,” Mayer said. “Sadly, the first round wasn’t the best, but I fought back and reset for the second round.”

Freshman Jaxon Bandelier felt great going into state for the first time. He believes that all the hard work he and his teammates put in had paid off, and they had a chance to show what they were capable of at state.

“My one goal for the tournament was to follow the process and to enjoy the experience,” Bandelier said. “Legacy Hills was playing hard with fast greens and breezy winds, plus the fact that it was very hot made for some tough conditions for the team.”

Senior Andrew Tan’s thoughts on the course’s conditions were benign, however he came to the realization that he still had to play well. He was also feeling pressured with the larger crowds watching him due to the bigger tournament.

“My favorite memory of the tournament was getting to walk with Coach Lee for the last nine holes,” Tan said. “This was his last boys’ tournament as the Viper head coach so to be able to share that experience with him was pretty special.”

This is Lee’s last year as the head coach for the boys and girls golf team and as a teacher here at VHS. 

Coming“I have enjoyed every minute of this year. Being a part of Vandegrift Golf has been so special and it is something that I will always look back on fondly,” Lee said. “I would not trade this team for any other team and I look forward to watching all of their future successes.”