• Thanksgiving Break November 19-23

Swim takes on Super Quad Invitational Meet

Delilah Woods, Staff Reporter

Julia Roberto races across the pool. Michael Clements photo.

Viper Swim claimed another win on Nov. 3 at Belton during their Super Quad Invitational. The team beat Belton, Westlake, and Southlake Carroll shifting the tides in favor of their success.

The athletes showcased their skills in each event and won more than 31 medals by the end of the meet. Seventeen of those places were taken by the girls swim team and 13 were taken by the boys.

“All the girls swam really well, and our races scored a lot of points leading us to win over Southlake Carroll and Westlake, which we have never done before,” senior swimmer Julianna Berlin said. “It was very exciting and I think our relays will pose a lot of competition at state this year.”  

From this meet the athletes learned that support is the best strategy to win. Throughout the races the team members cheered on their friends until the very last stroke. Overall the team said they performed with unity which aided in their success, yet they still will continue to build their strength and improve on form and technique for the next competition.

Swim cheers on the sidelines for their team.
Michael Clements photo.

“We competed really well,” captain Mason Wong said. “We competed against a lot of the best teams in the state. This is the first meet where I felt that our team was really coming together.”

The team will be heading to Mansfield for the Texas Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association on  Nov. 16.

“Our swimmers have looked strong at the meets so far,” head coach Genevieve Walsh said. “We have a large team that qualified for TISCA so I am expecting fast times and high placement from individuals and the team as a whole.”

To see upcoming meets look at Swim’s calendar here.

About the Writer
Delilah Woods, Staff Reporter

Delilah Woods is a junior and this is her first year writing for the Voice. Along with being apart of the newspaper staff, she runs cross-country for Vandegrift....