Lady Vipers compete at NEPS soccer tournament

Peyton Klam, Staff Reporter

Freezing weather, snow and a slippery field is not what the Lady Vipers soccer team is used to, but it didn’t affect their performance in the NEPS tournament in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Playing in ice… cold and slippery!” Sophomore Haley Meier said. “But it was fun and really pretty to play in.”

The team competed well against other teams around the nation, and it was exactly what they needed before starting the regular season.

“We were undefeated this tournament, which gave our team a confidence boost.” senior Grace Erdman said.

The tournament was the first of the season and team captains, Grace Erdman, Kelly Flynn and Jessica Pikoff led the team to a unbeaten start.

“We played some really hard teams, so it’s a good challenge,” senior Kelly Flynn said. “also we got to try new formations and strategies.”

The Lady Vipers look to compete well in their first season as 6a and the team captains play a big role.

“We’re in a challenging district so it’s going to take a lot of work,” Erdman said. “Hard work and dedication from every player is going to be critical to success. I have to be someone that both my teammates and coaches can depend on.”

The NEPS tournament has already helped the girls prove their potential since they played and defeated some very competitive teams.

“There were nationally ranked teams and we were able to beat them,” Meier said. “They were big wins”

The regular season started on January 10th, 2017. The Lady Vipers look to compete well and prove themselves in the new district.

“Another key is going to be working together as a team,” Flynn said. “It’s really important to get the team organized.”