Vandegrift football gets attention of collegiate scouts

The varsity football team celebrates their 63-55 win against Vista Ridge with the student section.

Carson Field, Sports Editor

Vandegrift football is starting to get more attention of college football programs, as Alex Fernandes and Holton Greenfield both picked up offers this week.

Alex Fernandes, the quarterback of the Varsity football team in 2015, picked up an offer from Princeton University. Princeton competes in the Ivy League Football Conference and is one of the top academic schools in the nation.

“I am honored to get my first offer,” Fernandes said. “Princeton is definitely a school I will consider down the stretch of the recruiting process.”

While he is getting the offer for football, Fernandes sees their campus and Ivy League academics as great qualities of Princeton.

“It is hard to match the academics of Princeton because they are one of the best, if not the best, schools in America,” Fernandes said. “I actually had the chance to visit Princeton with my brother, and I loved the campus.”

In addition to Fernandes receiving his first offer, offensive lineman Holton Greenfield got his first three offers from Army, the Air Force Academy and Central Arkansas . Army plays as a Division I-FBS program as an independent, while Air Force is also an FBS program in the Mountain West Conference. The third offer he received was from Central Arkansas, who plays FCS football in the Southland Conference.

“I was excited to pick up my first offers,” Greenfield said. “All of them have good teams, and I am excited to explore my options.”

In addition to the offers that Fernandes and Greenfield received, an abundance of college scouts from strong programs have been attending football practice. Scouts from Kansas State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tulsa and more have all watched the Vipers working hard to improve.

There is a direct correlation between the number of scouts at practice and success of the team. The reason that the coaches and scouts of these teams are attending practice is because of how well the Varsity team has performed over the past couple of years. Players such as Travis Brannan and Paxton Segina have found a way to put Vandegrift on college programs’ radar, as both of them signed to play Division-I-FBS football at Navy and Stanford.  Assuming the team continues its success, it is likely that the attention the program receives will increase.