Viper Volleyball Wins District, State Titles

Sessen Stephanos, Lifestyles and Entertainment Editor

Several weeks after their season ended, the varsity volleyball team was notified that several players were awarded All-District and All-State honors and the entire team was awarded All-District Academic.

Two players, senior Bryn Recker and junior Lexi Lopez, were selected to be on the 2014 Texas Girls Coaches Association All-State Team. The All-State team is comprised of the most elite players in the state. The players were chosen by coaches’ votes.

Recker also received the District 25-5A Offensive Player of the Year. Recker has played varsity volleyball since her freshman year and has committed to play college volleyball at James Madison University in the fall.

“We’ve faced a lot of adversity this season, we’ve had some challenging opponents, but I’m really glad that we made it as far as we did. I’m very honored to be chosen to be on the all-state team, its a great feeling to see all of your hard work pay off and its a nice way to end my last season of high school volleyball,” Recker said.

Along with Recker, Lopez made the First Team All-District. The most elite group of players in the district. Lopez also plays club volleyball year round and has been on varsity volleyball since her freshman year.

“It’s a really good feeling to be elected to be on the all-district and all-state team. This season has been really special to me, I’ve loved spending time with all of the seniors during their last volleyball season,” Lopez said.

Senior, Morgan Waggoner and freshman, Simone Priebe made the Second All-District Team.

“I was really surprised, to be honest,I wasn’t really expecting it but  it was a big boost for my confidence as a player” Priebe said.

The entire volleyball team was awarded the Academic All-District Award. Academic All-Districts is awarded to athletes who maintain their grade point average at above a 90 percent throughout the season. Seniors Maria Krychniak, Emily McShane, Caitlyn Hyde and Recker were awarded the Academic All-State Award for maintaining a grade point average of 95 or above.
“It feels good to be awarded the academic all state award. It’s a challenge to balance school and athletics and I’m proud to be able to finish my senior year out strong,” Hyde said.

Maria Krychniak won the 2014 Second to None Award for Volleyball this year. The second to none award is presented to the athlete or member who has demonstrated exceptional behavior in their organization. Krychniak was elected by her team mates to be the recipient of second to none.

“I feel very honored and privileged to have my teammates vote me as someone who represents the qualities of Matthew Vandegrift.” Krychniak said.

The Viper Volleyball girls have now ended their competition season and have shifted to their off season.